Community Forums 

Main Content

A busy week

Apr 09 2010 15:27:36

Mal Stewart

I've had a very busy week and I am far from finished so I will be brief. My main focus is still on sorting out the systems rather than communications.

Obviously there was a very serious DDOS attack which took out ww4 for the best part of 18 hours Monday night/Tuesday. It goes without saying that it will have had a very serious impact on those users effected, I'm afraid that is the point of a DDOS attack and this one was successful.

I have answered everyone who has emailed me since Tuesday night. I had 500 emails on Tuesday which I was too busy to answer. It is shame to see that I have been quoted out of context but I understand that the individual was upset and did not agree with the information I gave him. However most people have been very suportive, at least in private!

Over the coming weeks I will be upgrading hardware/making changes to the systems to reflect what we have learn't. There may be brief outages, 10 mins max, while we move/reboot servers.

BTW There is no way rackspace can discuss one of their clients with a third party. Some of their clients are banks, it just isn't an option for them...

Mal

Mal's E-commerce Ltd
    http://www.mals-e.com

Apr 09 2010 16:46:06

Algomans

Thanks for the new info. More importantly thanks for having your priorities straight- I for one would rather have the systems running!

Apr 09 2010 17:20:56

S4Patrick

THANK YOU MAL for YOUR hard work and efforts to resolve this issue. It's events like this that makes us all stronger, smarter, and gives us opportunities to improve. We will all benefit from this one. So once again I thank you VERY MUCH for resolving this issue as fast as you did.

Apr 09 2010 20:41:29

Nigel B

Thanks Mal, I appeciate you taking the time for an update.

Its always better to hear first hand than throough the misconstrued thoughts of others.

Thanks again for your work.

Apr 09 2010 22:29:25

Don

Nigel B said Thanks Mal, I appeciate you taking the time for an update.

Its always better to hear first hand than throough the misconstrued thoughts of others.

Thanks again for your work.

Here, Here.

DB.

www.donbarrow.co.uk
    www.pacenotes.com
    Please either Share or Like my Facebook

Apr 10 2010 00:51:38

Neil

Hi Mal,

I queried your 30 minute downtime/password comment for other servers in the email you sent me as I and others were affected a lot longer than this. I felt the information was relevant in case you weren't aware of other issues or that perhaps your third party providers had given you misinformation. I still have those emails, and they are certainly not attacks but heartfelt pleas for help as a result of the emails others were also sending me, as I tend to help out here when I can and they thought I could do something I guess..

Thanks so much for finally being able to stop by and clearing everything up. As I said in my email, I am so pleased that nothing had happened to you personally. :)