Community Forums 

Main Content

Changing "Add Shipping" Button

May 11 2010 00:17:05

Gil Sery

Is it possible to change the "Add Shipping" form button to an image button (or even a larger form button)?

The button is so small that I'm afraid my customers will miss it and I will get multiple orders without payment for shipping. I know that when I did my first test run, that's what happened to me.

Thanks for any help.

May 11 2010 06:22:02

Alan

If your shipping setup uses units values, for example standard shipping options 3, 5, or 7 without the units=price box checked, and there is no fixed charge and the units total is 0, then the calculation is bypassed.

Otherwise it is automatically done before the customer can checkout.

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/

May 11 2010 17:55:17

Gil Sery

Alan said If your shipping setup uses units values, for example standard shipping options 3, 5, or 7 without the units=price box checked, and there is no fixed charge and the units total is 0, then the calculation is bypassed.

Otherwise it is automatically done before the customer can checkout.

Thanks, Alan. I pretty much just rely on the UPS and USPS shipping calculators, along with a flat rate charge for some international options.

I found out that in my present configuration that the shipping cannot be bypassed, but since I've replaced pretty much all the other form buttons with image buttons, I was wondering if I could replace that one as well. It looks odd to have that be the only form button on the page.

Also, in a somewhat related issue (so I'm not sure whether or not to start a new topic for it or not), I uploaded an image file to replace the "Submit Order" form button with an image button. While the other 4 buttons that I replaced with images (Go To Payments, Recalculate, Continue, and Continue Shopping) work correctly, the "Submit Order" form button (which actually says "ORDER NOW") still appears instead of the image button.

I checked that the file is spelled correctly and uploaded correctly in the same folder as the other buttons, but for some reason this image button does not work correctly. Any idea why?

Thanks very much.

May 14 2010 20:00:01

delfox

HI Gil,

Could you show your code?

Mike.....................
    www.mrds-coins.com

May 14 2010 20:23:48

Gil Sery

delfox said HI Gil,

Could you show your code?

Mike.....................
    www.mrds-coins.com

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your interest.

Considering that I'm using the {shopping_cart} tag in my own customized template, it's not really "my" code, because I have no control over it. That's what's so frustrating.

Here's a pic of what my shopping cart looks like:

Add Shipping button
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2hocr61.jpg

Order Now button
    http://i42.tinypic.com/34rgkt0.jpg

Right now, I don't have the code for any of buttons set up, so I'm using the site's test product. I don't think this is a problem because I don't have a regular online store, I just have a bunch of "Buy Now" buttons on different pages of my website. So whether I use my actual product or a test product makes no difference to me for testing purposes.

Any help in figuring out how to change these buttons to image buttons would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Gil

May 14 2010 21:03:05

delfox

I guess I do not fully understand your question Gil. FIrst you need to have your images in a folder on your site. In my example they are a file called "images"

Then you need to reference them in the button HTML code. I have given you two examples of what I am using.

If you want to see them "in action" go to the "return" link referenced. You notice that you can also set their size in the button also. ie width - height

<!--------------MALS Show Cart------------->

<form METHOD="POST" ACTION="http://ww4.aitsafe.com/cf/review.cfm">;
    <p align="right"><input TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="userid" VALUE="60317877">
    <input name="return" type="hidden" value="www.mrds-coins.com/atb33.htm"; />
    <input TYPE="image" src="images/cartchest.gif" width="78" height="53"></p></form>

<!--------------END SHOW CART---------------->

<!-----------MALS------------>

<form action="http://ww4.aitsafe.com/cf/add.cfm"; method="post">
    <p align="center"><input name="userid" type="hidden" value="60317877" />
    <input name="product" type="hidden" value="ATB Hot Springs P&D set">
    <input name="price" type="hidden" value="1.70"> <input type="hidden" name="units" value="0.44" />
    <input name="return" type="hidden" value="www.mrds-coins.com/atb33.htm"; />
    <input type="image" src="images/add_2.jpg" width="75" height="31"></font></p></form>

<!-----------MALS------------->

May 14 2010 22:10:29

Gil Sery

delfox said I guess I do not fully understand your question Gil.

Which makes the feeling mutual, because I don't understand how you customized your cart.

What I did is the following:

In my Admin account, under Cart Setup, on the right-hand side is a section called "Customize". The last link in this section is called "Templates". I checked the "Use your own templates" box.

I then proceeded to create my page and add my template. According to the "Using templates" blurb, on the right side of the page, I need to use the special {shopping_cart} string to identify where in my template I would like the cart to go.

I did this, but did not add any other HTML to the cart, and what I showed you in the picture is what I got. As I mentioned before, I have yet to do the button HTML code, and have been using the test product from Mal's cart, but I don't see why that would change with the use of a different product.

Gil

May 14 2010 23:01:10

delfox

HI Gil, sorry to confuse you.

If you go to that page and right click then click on "view source" it should show the code which produced that page. From that you may be able to determine what you need.

If this is live and on line and I could take a look at it, perhaps I can help. The link you indicate is just a picture and I therefor am unable to view the code.

What I did is to insert a table where I wanted the button(s) and set the code inside the table. Doing it that way you could place the button anywhere.

If anyone else can help, please do.

Mike...........

May 18 2010 23:58:13

Gil Sery

delfox said If this is live and on line and I could take a look at it, perhaps I can help. The link you indicate is just a picture and I therefor am unable to view the code.

Mike,

I don't think we're on the same page here. Did you do the code for your page by yourself, and that's why you can change the look? I am asking because I did not.

I am using the new template system that Mal's E-Commerce offers. I do not have any shopping cart code of my own for you to see. I just plug in the tag {shopping_cart} where I want the cart code to appear on the page and Mal's website creates the code for me automatically. Thus, I cannot give you the code to view. When you look at the webpage through "View Source", that code is automatically generated by the template.

However, the testing I have done so far is just based on Mal's website using the template and Mal's test product. I have not done any coding of my own for my own products yet. I will do that soon and let you take a look at the code.

Thanks for offering.

Gil

Jul 13 2010 20:44:10

Gil Sery

I finally figured out why my shipping section looks different to Mike's -- it's because I'm using the advanced shipping option. Although I don't see why that should preclude my cart from using the Add Shipping button that I have in the image library. Another button whose image is not working is the Order Now button.

Why are those image buttons not working and the others are?

Gil

1   |   2      »