Community Forums 

Main Content

Two carts for one website...

Sep 02 2008 15:00:52

chilled

I have an odd question...is it possible to set up two carts for one website? I sell invitations that have separate shipping and minimum quantity requirements, and also samples that have no shipping charges and no minimum. I keep thinking two separate carts would be the easiest option for me, but each time I try to add a new cart to the same website, someone else's cart comes up ( I think this is a glitch). Please let me know what you think about this idea...

Sep 02 2008 15:57:05

Mr N French

It would seem to me that another person's cart being displayed is perhaps a typing error on your button.

It can be done, but I think it could prove to be confusing to someone purchasing from you, unless the likelihood of them buying more than one item is nil. What if someone wants to buy 2 different items that go to 2 different carts?

Nick French
    www.nickfrench.co.uk

http://www.nickfrench.co.uk

Sep 02 2008 17:50:35

chilled

It would seem to me that another person's cart being displayed is perhaps a typing error on your button.

It can be done, but I think it could prove to be confusing to someone purchasing from you, unless the likelihood of them buying more than one item is nil. What if someone wants to buy 2 different items that go to 2 different carts?

Nick French
    www.nickfrench.co.uk

Sep 02 2008 18:05:55

chilled

I thought of that. Although it would be unlikely that someone would want to order both a sample and invitations together, the possibility does exist. What I would really like to do to find a way to bypass the shipping and minimum quantities that I have set up on my carts for the invitations (the samples have neither shipping charges or minimums). I understand that I could write Java scripts that could do this on my individual web pages, but at the shopping cart would be much easier...Any ideas how to do this on the cart?

Sep 14 2008 17:31:16

airegold

Edited: I actually have three different carts on one website. One is for fabric bows as they take longer to ship out than the ribbon bows that are on another shopping cart. I later added another cart for quick ship ribbon bows because those ship the next business day and I do not take checks or money orders for those. I occasionally have customers who do not read the note about separate carts and call to ask why their items don't show up in their shopping cart, but they are few and far between.

As for someone else's cart showing up, it might be that you are typing in the address incorrectly. My first cart's url starts with www., the second is a ww6. and the last one is a ww11. I seem to remember the same problem when I added the second cart and typed in www. instead of ww6.

Sep 18 2008 20:32:41

chilled

Thanks for your help on this. I did end up putting a second cart on my site for samples only, because they don't use regular shipping rates and don't have a minimum order. And I don't usually have customers ordering samples along with their invitation order--it's usually done at separate times.

The only problem I've encountered is that my cookies on my computer will default to my first cart, so I always need to keep an eye on that so not to make alterations to the incorrect cart.

Sep 19 2008 06:01:01

just visiting

Edited: For how to avoid shipping charges on some items see
    http://www.stoner.org.uk/mals/freeshipping.html

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/