Community Forums 

Main Content

How can we make customers confirm their age?

Jan 15 2011 13:15:17

Ian S

We want to add a range of model makers knives and blades to our webshop but we would like our customers to confirm that they are over the age of 18 when they add these items to the cart.
    Is it possible that when they select an item from this range, they go to a new page to confirm their age, and then proceed to the cart.
    Anyone any idea how this can be done faily simply (I'm not an HTML expert by any means so anything too complicated will have me struggling!)

Thanks
    Ian

Jan 15 2011 13:26:27

GT

You could add a checkbox for them, so at least you have proof they say they are over 18. But besides that....

Having trouble with a form or need one building?
    Fast turnaround, but I do charge :)

Mal's Forms / Scripts and the syntax are here.

Jan 15 2011 14:49:40

Debbie Q

The cart has a terms and conditions checkbox which you could require them to check in order to contiune but it would be sitewide and not just the knives so you would have to word it carefully so it didn't confuse people.

You could also put some kind of custom java script on your product page that did not allow them to add the item to the cart unless they confirmed they were over 18.

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Jan 15 2011 17:05:22

Ian S

Thanks for the suggestion Debbie and GT.

Ideally we would liike the 'add to cart' process to be a two stage prcoess for these items only (they will be just a few tems of many hundreds).

So ideally the customer would click the 'add to cart' button and then be taken straight to nother page that they then had to click to confoirm their age. Is it possible for the data that is sent from the first 'add to order' butto clcik to be sent on from the second (I've probably not explained that very well.

Another alterntive we thought of was thatthe 'add to order buttons' next to these products could be simple hyperlinks that linked to a new page with a 'confim age' button. It would be these second buttons that actually post the data to the cart. Would mean a seperate second page for each item though.

Does any of that make sense?

Jan 16 2011 08:00:56

GT

Why make the buyer click here, then click here??????

As long as you have a record that the buyer has stated by checking a box that they are over 18, what else is required?

Having trouble with a form or need one building?
    Fast turnaround, but I do charge :)

Mal's Forms / Scripts and the syntax are here.

Jan 16 2011 14:57:14

Debbie Q

I agree with GT on this one. You always want to make your order process as simple as possible for the customer or they just might go elsewhere.

You could even use a validation java script that would not let them order if they did not check the box and include an alert reminding them they must be 18 to purchase the item.

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.