Community Forums 

Main Content

USPS Rates Setup Question

Mar 23 2011 00:19:52

Gil Sery

I'm trying to setup the Rate Calculator in Advanced Shipping for USPS. However, when registering, they want to know what site is going to host the API. Do I put my site or the aitsafe.com site?

Thanks very much.

Mar 23 2011 15:18:28

Alan

I would ask Mal (see 'Contact' below) and perhaps suggest including the information on the https://secure.aitsafe.com/ddn/advusps.pht page.

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/

Mar 23 2011 20:01:57

Gil Sery

Thanks for your reply, Alan. However, I managed to figure out that I only need to know that if I want to access the address APIs, and what I really need is access to the Rate Calculators.

I'm trying to find a way where if a person orders too many items to fit in a USPS Priority Flat Rate small box, that that option will not be offered as a shipping option, even though it is listed as an option in my Advanced Shipping Tables.

Do you (or anyone else) know of any way to do that?

Mar 23 2011 22:21:10

Debbie Q

No way for the cart to know how many items fit in a box.

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Mar 23 2011 22:35:57

Gil Sery

Debbie Q said No way for the cart to know how many items fit in a box.

Thank Debbie.

You may be interested to know that I just spoke to a rep at the USPS Internet Customer Care Center, and she said that, assuming Mal set up the USPS APIs correctly, if an order is too big for a certain box, then that box won't even be presented as a shipping option -- which is exactly what I was hoping for.

Now if I can just get Mal to add Priority International Flat Rate boxes to the Advanced Shipping tables.

Mar 23 2011 23:45:59

Debbie Q

Like I said before. There is no way for the cart to know how many items can fit in a box. You could be shipping marbles or feather beds. All Mal's knows is the weight.

Debbie Q

Mar 23 2011 23:57:47

Gil Sery

Debbie Q said Like I said before. There is no way for the cart to know how many items can fit in a box. You could be shipping marbles or feather beds. All Mal's knows is the weight.

But if you know something -- whether marbles or feathers -- weighs 5lbs, and is being shipped to Canada, the postal regulation is that you cannot ship in a USPS Priority Mail International Flat Rate Small box, because the maximum weight allowed in that box is 4 lbs.

Now if you're using a flat charge option in your shipping table, or if you're using the ship by total cost option, then yes, you're correct, the cart will not know that you have chosen the wrong box. You'll only find out when USPS returns the shipment to you a couple days later with a note.

What I was told is that:

* Assuming you're using the USPS API to get your quotes (i.e. the box at the top of the USPS Setup page is checked), and
    * Assuming the API has been correctly configured (that's up to Mal), USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Small box will not even show up as an available shipping option, for the exact reason I mentioned above.

Mar 24 2011 00:11:41

Debbie Q

OK but what you said was "to big to fit the box" not "over a required weight limit." 2 different things.

It is true the option would not show up if it does not fit the requirements. Like if something is over 13 ounces then the first class mail option goes away. Let us know what Mal says about adding the box. It might be to complicated. I personally look at the flat rate option as my bonus for being smart enough to use it. I charge full rates.

Debbie Q

Mar 24 2011 00:21:59

Gil Sery

Debbie Q said OK but what you said was "to big to fit the box" not "over a required weight limit." 2 different things.
    True, what I meant was "too heavy for the box's weight limit".

It is true the option would not show up if it does not fit the requirements. Like if something is over 13 ounces then the first class mail option goes away. Let us know what Mal says about adding the box. It might be to complicated.

Will do.

I personally look at the flat rate option as my bonus for being smart enough to use it. I charge full rates.

When you're dealing with a product like tungsten that is heavy by nature, you HAVE to use flat rate boxes or else the shipping would be sky high, and nobody would buy from you.

Unfortunately, I have had to use the flat charge option for USPS until now, because the Priority Flat Rate options in the Advanced Shipping table do not show up in the shipping options screen -- even when shipping to the same city within the contiguous 48 states.

So if someone orders 10 lbs of goods, and pays shipping for a Small box, I'm screwed: I either have to go back to him and ask him to pay more shipping -- which looks unprofessional -- or I have to cost the difference myself, which is not good for business.

Mar 24 2011 06:28:21

Alan

I would ask Mal. I have a vague recollection that he said he gives arbitrary measurements in some context but may well be imagining it.

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/

1   |   2      »