Community Forums 

Main Content

No Shipping on Products for Download

Sep 03 2008 14:23:45

anni

We're offering an eBook for download upon completed payment in our Mal's-powered store. This same store also sells physical goods that must be shipped. Is there any way to require shipping charges on the physical goods but suspend that requirement for the electronic download? Our users keep charging themselves an unnecessary shipping fee on the eBook and I have to email them, ask them to reorder and cancel the original charge - it's a pain!

Thanks.

Sep 03 2008 14:29:12

Debbie Q

This depends on how you have your shipping setup. You could set the unit's value of the downloadable item to 0 and give the rest of the items a value. Then shipping would not be charged for the downloadable item.

If you are using one of the options with units=price checked you can add a field called noship to your product code.

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Sep 03 2008 15:12:37

anni

I'm actually calculating shipping based on price rather than units because we have several products that cost different amounts to ship... Any ideas?

Sep 03 2008 17:41:44

Debbie Q

Like I said if you have the units=price box checked all you have to do is add a noship field to the download products code < input type=hidden name=noship value=1>

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Sep 03 2008 18:58:23

anni

Thanks, Debbie. But where is the units=price box? I can't find it in the advanced shipping tables...

Sep 03 2008 21:20:22

Alan

When using Advanced shipping, Debbie's first suggestion is the answer.

Here's a Summary of 'free shipping' as a reference. Your case is (4).

FREE SHIPPING FOR SOME PRODUCTS

STANDARD SHIPPING

You must not specify a flat handling fee in shipping setup as it would always apply.

1) SHIPPING is based on the VALUE of the ORDER (options 3, 5, 7 with the units=price box checked).

You can include a 'noship' statement for the 'free shipping' product(s). Use the same format as 'price' but substitute 'noship' and set the value to 1. The price is then not included in the units total.

NOTE that noship does not work with pay.cfm (posting direct to payment) or if your 'free shipping' product has its price defined using discountpr.

In those cases if using options 3, 5, 7, uncheck the units=price box and give each product a units value equal to its price, with 0 for the free shipping items.

If you use discountpr for both your 'free shipping' product and for another product you will have a single units value for the latter, regardless of the quantity, and the resulting units total may differ from the price paid.

2) SHIPPING is based on the NUMBER of ITEMS (options 2, 4, or 6)

Add 1 to the option number, giving option 3, 5, or 7. Give regular products a units value of 1, and free shipping products a value of 0.

3) SHIPPING is based on the UNITS values you are supplying (options 3, 5, 7 without the units=price box checked)

Simply give the 'free' product a units value of 0.

ADVANCED SHIPPING

'noship' is not available.

4) SHIPPING is based on the VALUE of the ORDER

You should switch to basing it on the units total. Give the individual items units values equal to their price, with free shipping items having units values of 0. If you are using discountpr for any 'not free shipping' products then the resulting units total may differ from the price paid.

5) SHIPPING is based on the TOTAL QUANTITY of PRODUCTS

Change to using the units total and give products a units value of 1 with 'free shipping' products having 0.

6) SHIPPING is based on the TOTAL SUM of the UNITS

Simply give free shipping items a units value of 0.

Sep 12 2008 16:02:51

Kristie

I am having the same exact problem but I am using the free program. I have used option 6, so there is no check box. My shipping rate is based on total amount of purchased items, so $7 up to $100 worth of merchandise, and on up the scale. I finally got my shipping to work correctly using option six, so now I am worried that I am going to have to change options with the download items, which will really stink.

Nov 02 2008 17:46:51

papabear1126

have a similiar problem.
    However in my case, all items are free shipping.
    However,
    Now we are adding items, gift cards, that require a flat 5.00 fee per order no matter how many gift cards they order.

I have spent days now reading all helps, posts, anything I can find and cant get the answer.
    I hope this does not break the rules but I am at the point where I am willing to pay someone to help get this to work.
    Thanks
    papabear@ptd.net