Community Forums 

Main Content

Standard and Express Shipping for Each Item

Sep 01 2011 22:54:17

shactrack

Hello and thank you in advance for answering my question. I have 20 items in my store. I need to set up my own predetermined shipping for each item. I also need each item to have an option for standard shipping for that specific product to equal a specific amount. I need the same to occur for the express shipping option (my own predetermined amount). Some items have the same dollar amount for shipping but most are different. I also ship internationally so I need something similar (standard without tracking, standard with tracking, and express shipping) to occur for intl shipping.

For instance I have product A that is $9.99.
    Standard shipping is $3 and Express shipping is $5.

Product B is 15.99
    Standard shipping is $3 and Express shipping is $5.

Product C is 19.99
    Standard domestic shipping is $5 and Express shipping is $7.

Product D is 24.99
    Domestic-Standard shipping is $10 and Express shipping is $13.

Product E is 49.99
    Domestic -Standard shipping is $10 and Express shipping is $13.

Of course shipping internationally is different and has 3 shipping options instead of two.

How can I set this up?

Sep 02 2011 06:45:47

Alan

Based on your examples, you could specify the charge as a product's units value.

Using option 5, for example
    Standard US zone
    UNITS COST
    0 _____ 0
    rest ___ 1

would charge the sum of the units values.

The express zone would be increased by a factor.. For example

Express zone
    UNITS COST
    0 _____ 0
    rest ___ 1.4

You want 1.67, 1.4 or 1.3 so your choice would be a compromise.

Are you charging double if someone orders two of an item? Are charges added if someone orders two different items? Or would the charge be based on total weight?

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/

Sep 02 2011 09:54:41

shactrack

Alan thank you so much for replying back to my question so quickly!!! I tell you I thought I was in the home stretch of finally launching my site but I tell you I am REALLY stumped on this shipping thing! I figured out how to add the buttons to my WYSIWYG site but this is my last hurdle and it's really got my head hurting. I don't know why I can't seem to understand it or wrap my head around it??? After much research I found Mal's and thought it would be a good fit bc contrary to just Paypal alone...I could offer coupons and discount codes. I don't know now...I may just forget about it and use paypal alone or fork over a monthly fee for a cart that is easier to add the shipping options I need. But I really wanted to be able to offer coupons and discounts. :(

For some reason I'm not understanding the arrays (tables I guess), bands, and zones....I don't know why bc I can usually figure stuff like this out. I'm not so technical that I'm a web developer who writes HTML code or CSS but I'm more technical than your average bear. I'm sorry Alan, but I've literally been sitting here a good hour staring at your example and clicking back to the shipping table trying to understand all this. Maybe I am more of a visual learner. If I saw an example of the table or array filled in and then translated maybe that would be easier for me to understand.

You said....You want 1.67, 1.4 or 1.3 so your choice would be a compromise....but I don't know where you got these numbers from? I'm clueless. And does Units mean the quantity that I sell of each item or the price that I've assigned to it minus the shipping...or the shipping cost itself? The shipping that I have assigned to each product includes the cost of processing I've came up with ....which is why each products shipping is not necessarily the "real time" shipping of the carrier....It is also based on weight so yes if a person orders two or more of the same thing or a different product an additional shipping charge will be added to the order total. I'm calculating shipping for each product. I also have 20 items in my store that each will need to have a standard shipping and express shipping option. Can I even do this with Mal's since there are only 5 spots to notate my shipping preferences. I hope I was clear enough in my response to you.

In the mean time I'm going to check out the website you said has the shipping info on it and see if it brings clarity to the situation. Thanks so much!

Sep 02 2011 10:02:17

shactrack

Omgosh Alan this link may just be what I need....it is VERY detailed ...so I will go over it thoroughly and then let you know if I have more questions...Thank you SOOOO much!!!

Sep 04 2011 00:42:56

shactrack

Alan thanks so much for all your help and the link! You saved me!!! I took a step back to breathe and give oxygen to my brain cells and now I think I thoroughly comprehend everything! The link is SOOOO helpful and should be somewhere in the Cart Admin.

So this is what I plan on doing. I plan to use option 7 with my units=weight. I'm using oz (ounces) but I don't think that matters. The only thing I still need is the capability to have Free Shipping for any order over $60...but I don't think that can be done in the Standard shipping since not more than one feature can be applied to the option. Can this be done in Advanced Shipping with a Premium Account? I only have 4 zones and still have one left but to my knowledge I can't apply a Free Shipping for orders over $60 bc that would be units=price which conflicts with my specification of units=weight...right? (I am leaving the box unchecked) If there is a way this can be done I would like to know.

Also I would like for you to double check if I am comprehending the way I setup my shipping correctly. My weight is in oz.

Domestic Shipping and Handling
    Units................Cost
    Up to 2 4
    the next 2 -2
    the next 4 1
    the next 4 4
    the rest 0

So I think I am correct in thinking the way I set this up means any oz up to 2 oz is $4, the next 2 oz (which is my 4 oz product) is $2, the next 4 oz (8 oz product) is $3, the next 4 oz (my 12 oz product) is $7, and anything larger than 12 oz is $7. Should I eliminate the 4th row that says "the next 4.....4", leave it blank and just fill in the last row that says the rest....4? I'm not sure.

This is what I'm trying to accomplish. I have 8 products weights:

This shipping is as follows for each:

.5, 1, 2 oz-$4
    4 oz-$2
    8 oz -$3
    12 oz-$7
    16 oz-$ 7
    32 oz-$7

Sep 04 2011 09:30:30

Alan

Using standard shipping based on weight you can't have different 'free over' values for different zones. You can specify a single value near the top of the the setup page that app;liews to all zones.

Using advanced shipping you can specify individual 'free over' values in each case. I've added notes to your suggested table to show how it works. Not quite as intended.

Domestic Shipping and Handling
    UNITS COST
    2 ____ 4 __ up to 2 ozs costs 4
    2 ____ 2 __ over 2 up to 4 costs 6
    4 ____ 1 __ over 4 up to 8 costs 7
    4 ____ 4 __ over 8 up to 12 costs 11
    rest __ 0 __ over 12 costs 11

All based on the units total of the order. in one calculation.

I'm now offline for a couple of days

Alan

Sep 04 2011 10:04:33

shactrack

Alan hope you're still online...but if not I guess I'll wait till you get back or post another question...I'm shooting to have this done and configured by tomorrow.

I wasn't sure about that free shipping over "x" option at the top of the page and how it might work with the different options or if it did at all....or if it worked independently of any of the option selections. So if I put in that box at the top of the page, free shipping over $60 will it work even though I will be using option 7 based on units=weight. If not...that's fine...I will just not have free shipping for the time being.

I'm not sure I follow your example so I will try to put my example again because I need to make sure I am doing it right and end up with the right cost of shipping before I do it....I think I follow your example but I just want to make sure. I think you misread my negative 2 (-2) on row two which threw off your calculation....but following your math it looks like I did it right. From what I've read in the link you in your signature I think I can use negative numbers in the cost field. Please correct me if I am wrong. I need the cost of shipping to end up being this:

.5, 1, 2 oz-$4
    4 oz-$2
    8 oz -$3
    12 oz-$7
    16 oz-$ 7
    32 oz-$7

So am I correct with the following table?

Domestic Standard shipping
    UNITS COST
    Up to 2...........4
    the next 2.......... -2 (<---I'm not sure if using this negative 2 will end up equaling $2...but that's what I'm going for)
    the next 4.......... 1
    the next 4...........4
    the rest 0 (<---not sure about this row either...I just need everything over 12 oz to equal $7)

Sep 04 2011 14:45:46

Debbie Q

The way I would figure out if I did the tables corectly is test them. Enter items to the cart and see if it totals up to the right amounts. This is the best way to test your tables AND the best way to learn and understand what the cart is doing with the numbers. If something is not adding up write change one value and see what it does. You will eventually understand it all.

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Sep 04 2011 16:42:24

Alan

Unexpected brief access to wifi!

Yes, negatives work..

But if I buy a 2 ounce item the shipping is 4. If I buy 2 of them it's only 2. Is that what's intended?

Alan

Sep 04 2011 18:36:46

shactrack

Ahhhh....thanks Alan for pointing that out...I see what you're saying...I thought it would just charge the $4 for the 2 oz twice for each of them...This is important that for each of the weights I assign to each product it charges the shipping for each...even if multiples of a product are purchased

So from what you've revealed to me if someone buys 2 8 oz it will charge $7 for shipping instead of $6...(duh bc it's set to charge by weight)...oh my...I think I may need to rethink this thing or may need to check the units=price box and upgrade to premium because I will need more than 5 rows...actually I will need 20 rows for all of my products in my store

ETA...on second thought I should be fine bc I am shipping by weight anyways...I just need to adjust the shipping cost on the 2 oz and I should be fine...

I am still unclear on if the Free Shipping over "x" at the top of the page will work simultaneously with option 7?

1   |   2      »