Community Forums 

Main Content

Condensing Multiple Carts into One Cart

Sep 11 2011 16:45:08

Yahweh's Alive & Well

This is our home page http://www. yahwehsaliveandwell .com/ and this a 2nd layer page (URL Removed) explaining the different carts.

Some items are drop shipped from different locations across the country while many are shipped from our location. The shipping calculations is the reason for the different carts. Anyone have any ideas how to make it into one cart?

My husband thinks we are losing lots of business because it's not all one cart. I started my business with cash, was in business for 13 years with no debt and saving money in long term savings all this time. Shipping 100 orders a month for 3 years. Just a few months before we got married 2 years ago in July, orders dropped off (1/2-3/4) and he thinks too many carts is the reason.

Does anyone with cart experience (and I know there are a lot of you on here because you have helped me over the years) think the multiple carts can be fixed> Does anyone think it should be a big hindrance to orders?

Sep 11 2011 17:15:08

GT

I'd say a probably reason for the drop off in orders is that I cannot find your website using Google, I searched for organic food, royal jelly, etc which are your many search terms, the site isn't in the top 50.

Looking at the site, you need some serious re-design and SEO building.

E.G. On your cart page, if I want to click on the text for the product I want to buy 'Fresh Royal Jelly & Honey Mix', there is no link - bad move :)

I'd consider a new site build with SEO in mind, making the site easier to navigate as well.

Having trouble with a form or need one building?
    Fast turnaround, but I do charge :)

Mal's Forms / Scripts and the syntax are here.

Sep 12 2011 19:03:06

reychirino

Maybe another reason is because you guys force people to buy more than what they want to buy and that make people angry and leave your site.
    I went to your page and did a test and I received a message saying that I have to buy more than $50 in order to do check out.
    I think that is a bad sales strategy.

Sep 13 2011 19:43:28

Yahweh's Alive & Well

GT - thank you for your input. I agree 100%. I did notice some of our search terms were not high in the search engines anymore and I would like a more streamlined design for the site. Anymore input on these using as little of your time as possible will be welcome. I know your time valuable. I'm still thinking it isn't possible to make it all into one shopping cart.

reychirino - I'd l;ike to explain the minimum order, we used to receive chargebacks only on orders that were $25-40. We concluded that people not wanting to get caught doing fraudulent things were just thinking that "it's not a lot and maybe they won't try to dispute it." We disputed them and won every one. It wasn't worth the time though as it cost us $200 an hour at the time. We looked at our order averages and for several years there was 10 orders average a month that were in the $25-40 range while 90 were averaging over $110. Several months a year orders that were $3000-5000 took a lot of customer service time. We felt it was better to cut out the $250-400 in sales that was subject to many chargebacks and spend the time on better customer service for the other 90 people. It worked as we could tell from the feedback we were getting. And it cut chargebacks down to people who just forgot they ordered from us and later some apologized.

Sep 13 2011 23:20:00

Debbie Q

Another possible reason is the economy. It really sucks right now. Many people are hurting and not buying. I think most businesses have had a reduction in sales right now. I think your lower sales is a combination of all the things together.

Did your sales drop before or after you made the minimum order limit? I agree with Reychirino. I would leave your site if I was being forced to buy more then I wanted. Especially when that limit would be enforced at each "store."

I would consider using multi product forms so the customer does not have to keep going back and forth to the cart so often. Or use "no cart" so they stay on the page until they are ready to check out.

If a customer clicks one of the "family specials" links on the home page how do they know what store they are shopping from? The whole multi store thing is very confusing.

If shipping is the reason for the multiple stores you should try and figure a way to work that out. A little give and take might be worth it. You might lose a little on some items but make up for it on others. Maybe include the shipping in the product price if the diference is great.

Maybe totally seperate the stores giving each a very unique look, style and company name. Then simply link to each store with a link or a banner. Make it like they are totally different companies and then people would not question them being seperate.

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Sep 14 2011 11:17:35

Yahweh's Alive & Well

Debbie,

I had implemented the minimum over 2 years before order started dropping off.

Many people are able to figure out that it is a "shopping mall" and to shop in one store at a time. We only have had maybe 10 people since we have been in business ask about it. Others have called up and I put the items into 1 cart for them over the phone which I know isn't ideal for repeat orders. For the people who cannot figure things out and do not speak up, I am definitely willing to try a redesign. Some of your ideas are things I will consider strongly. To separate the individual stores in a more clearly defined way is a big improvement to say the least.

I'm not sure how the multi product forms would help as there are hundreds of items on the site with a main page for each manufacturer. When feasible there are links to individual items with more descriptions from the manufacturer pages. I did notice the no cart feature you suggested to another member and played with it. I think it is cool and would certainly require a total redesign to implement but very helpful and time saving for shoppers. I could change my VIEW CART buttons to CHECK OUT buttons (or just add them) and make them more visible with no cart.

I am also making over the international pages. I only have an "index" page for each of 4 international stores that couldn't shop from the individual item pages since they were only linked to the US pages. I have it about 1/2 done tonight covering 3 of these stores.

As for shipping, there are at least 20 vendors all over the country who drop ship for me plus what I ship from here. Shipping weights range from under a pound to pallets and large furniture or food orders that can weigh several hundred pounds going by freight carriers. Shippers range from usps, FedEx, UPS, ABF, SAIA, Yellow to whoever else is out there. So the heavy stuff I calibrate at a much lower rate per pound than the lightweight since that's how it ends up being with the shippers. Large orders can cost hundreds of $$ to ship so a little error can cost me alot while the small orders that also ship by ground, 3,2 or 1 day can also cost alot if it's not calibrated right. Express rates are multiples of ground so if ground is off it just multiplies the loss on Express.

Now that I have possibly made it sound impossible is why I came here to brainstorm. It may be that there isn't a feasible solution. Or maybe shipping option 8 would work if I knew how to use it?

Thank you very much for taking all the time to consider and explain all that you have!

Sep 14 2011 14:50:53

Debbie Q

I figured the furniture would definately need to be kept seperate or the shipping included in the price of the item but I don't suspect the furniture is causing the problem. I think the problem is when they want some of the smaller stuff and it is from more then one store.

Debbie Q

Sep 14 2011 16:01:51

Debbie Q

Yahweh's Alive & Well said I'm not sure how the multi product forms would help as there are hundreds of items on the site with a main page for each manufacturer.

The hundreds of items on one page is the main reason add multi would be a good choice. The customer could run down the page and enter a qty or check a checkbox of any item they might want to buy and add them all to the cart at once.

I did notice the no cart feature you suggested to another member and played with it. I think it is cool and would certainly require a total redesign to implement but very helpful and time saving for shoppers.

Adding nocart would be an easier fix then the multi product form. Less change to your site. Just add &nocart to your product url.

Debbie Q

Sep 14 2011 16:21:31

RichardS

Hi there

Your website is an old design, and as more and more websites go 'web 2.0' and all that, your site is going to look increasingly dated.

Maybe there's nothing wrong with that - but one of the main 'reassurance managers' that people look for is that a site is actually still live. Your old design coupled with the year "1998" in the footer copyright might just be enough for people to think your site is out of date and no longer in use.

If I saw a website dated 1998 - there's no way I'd leave my card details. A simple change might be to change it to "1998 - 2011", or just "2011". Or even "Prices current to December 2011" or something - that way, no one is in any doubt that this is a live and functioning site.

BTW - on this page - http://www.yahwehsaliveandwell.com/lchayahroyaljelly.html you have keyword text in the same colour as the page background. This is a well known Google seo strategy that is very outdated. I'm pretty sure Google penalises this kind of thing and may be a reason your site isn't doing so well in the search engines.

Personally, I'd suggest a fresh makeover!

Regards

Richard

Richard

Sep 14 2011 22:28:36

Yahweh's Alive & Well

Thanks for the input Richard! I just put that same color text on it 2 days ago. So I will take it down before it even gets indexed. And change the date now before I get the makeover done. I never thought of that.

1   |   2      »