Community Forums 

Main Content

Posting TAX/VAT value into the System

Sep 04 2008 15:18:01

scottwhittaker

Our cart works on our own server and when the customer is finished they simply go to the checkout and our cart posts all the product info and shipping charges to the mals-e cart which then simply adds the vat/tax and allows them to enter their payment details.

Basically I am wanting to work out the tax/vat on our site as well now to allow for certain coutries that are vat exempt.

Do I just post a "tax" variable like I do with all the other info?
    I know I could just try it but its a live system and down time must be minimised so I'd rather know what I am doing and hopefully have it work first time!

Thanks
    Scott

Sep 04 2008 19:53:36

tom g

Add a tax# parameter

Sep 04 2008 22:17:58

Tracey

Hi Scott,
    I can't answer your question, sorry. But wanted to ask you whether your cart is part of the MALs set-up? I would prefer to let my shoppers select a variety of products to buy which they can view on my site and when they are ready go to MALS shopping cart to pay (view VAT and shipping etc). Having looking through the forum, I was giving up on this idea then read your message, which seems to suggest this is what you've managed to set up. Is this correct and if so, do you have tips on how to do this you could share?

Thanks,
    Tracey

Sep 05 2008 09:51:23

scottwhittaker

Tom G, many thanks for that. I will give it a go.

Tracey, basically I have scripted my own shopping cart which displays products to customers and allows them to add them to their basket.

Then they can checkout by filling in their details (just name, address etc not CC details) and when they click continue they are presented with a review page which actually reviews things like the country they are in etc to calculate postage, vat (hopefully now after Tom's input) which is then passed to the pay.cfm using the multi product form.

Hope that helps but feel free to ask any further questions.

Scott

Sep 05 2008 16:43:25

Tracey

Thanks Scott, alas I think scripting my own cart is well beyond my capabilities! Can't even get my VAT sorted out at the moment. Well done for doing that, a couple of my testers said that when buying more than one product you don't want to be shifted off to MALS CART every time you put a product in your basket.

Tracey

Sep 07 2008 18:23:10

scottwhittaker

Hi Tracey
    There are a lot of pre-coded cart solutions out there that are quite easy to install and setup (are free - dont pay for one!) which will allow you to "host your own cart". Id be very surprised if there wasnt one that already linked in with Mals-E to be honest but iv never looked.

If you do decide to get a pre-coded cart I would recommend a PHP based one and if you found one of them I'd be happy to help you with the final step (linking to Mals-E)...and for free, dont worry! It would probably require very little change to my existing code really.

Where's you current cart? Is it on a live web site that I can see?

Scott

Sep 07 2008 19:19:21

tom g

If you do not want your customers to go to the cart when they add an item, use nocart.

Sep 14 2008 20:58:02

ecom

Hi Scott,

I read your post and I'm really interested in doing the same thing. I have a shopping cart already set up and would like to use mal's e-commerce to collect and store cc info.

Can you guide me on how to do this?

Much appreciated,
    R

Sep 15 2008 09:45:46

Tracey

Hi Scott and Tom, thanks for your help. Perhaps the NOCART option may be an easier solution for me.

I tried the NOCART option below but after using the "Add to BASKET" button the page refreshes and the "Add to Basket" button disappears, which will be confusing! How do I make it stay?

Thanks, Tracey

Select Your Quantity by Size<br><br>
    <input type="hidden" name="product1" value="1011M Knee Wrap Medium">
    Medium:  <input type="hidden" name="price1" value="41.70">
    <input type="text" name="qty1" size="3"/>

<input type="hidden" name="product2" value="1011L Knee Wrap Large">
    Large:  <input type="hidden" name="price2" value="41.70">
    <input type="text" name="qty2" size="3">
    <input name="nocart" type="submit" value="Add to Basket">
    <input name="submit2" type="submit" value="Buy Now">