Community Forums 

Main Content

VAT RATES IN EU

Sep 04 2008 22:08:38

Tracey

Hi,
    I'm just building my free shopping cart and want to charge different VAT % rates based on customer's addresses in the EU. For e.g. the UK pay 17.5% but in Greece it's 19%. I would like Mal's cart to calculate the applicable VAT and add to the total order cost. I've looked very hard on the shipping page and just can't see how this can be done. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm a complete novice at HTML.

Thanks,
    Tracey

Sep 05 2008 10:17:47

The Net Effect Ltd

Hi Tracey,

Simply create a new shipping zone, 'Greece' and tax it at 19%, that's it. It works for me on a few clients.

Having trouble with a form or need one building?
    Fast turnaround, but I do charge :)

Mal's Forms / Scripts and the syntax are here.

Sep 05 2008 16:34:36

Tracey

Hi, thanks for your help and sorry to be a bit slow on this. I have a Shipping zone called Europe with my additional postage calculations inserted, which works nicely. However on the Shipping page there is no where to insert all the different % VAT amounts for the various countries in the EU. This would seem to be on the TAX page. The system for applying different taxes for States in America would be ideal if there was one for Europe. It allows you to specify a State then input your own percentage. There are 9 different VAT rates in the EU (ranges from 15% to 25%). Further guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Tracey

Sep 06 2008 04:39:36

The Net Effect Ltd

It sounds to me as though you need more shipping options, bite the bullet and pay for the premium cart, more shipping and tax options than you'll need.

hih.

Having trouble with a form or need one building?
    Fast turnaround, but I do charge :)

Mal's Forms / Scripts and the syntax are here.

Sep 06 2008 07:11:44

Suzet

you have to use the VAT from the country where you are selling from.
    so you have to use 1 VAT

Sep 15 2008 09:13:41

Tracey

Thanks for your help.

I've now applied one VAT rate to UK/EU and made the rest of the world exempt, using the shipping and tax cart options. I've now got the problem that one item I'm selling - a book - is zero VAT rated. How do I make this one item exempt from the automatic VAT calculation which I've sent up in the CART for every buyer where ever they are located?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
    Tracey