Community Forums 

Main Content

help with posting weight

Sep 05 2008 02:00:42

Sara

Can anyone help or direct me in telling me how and where I post the weight of my item. I am using the Advanced Calculator for FEDEX and USPS I have set all that up chose my zones and sample cart works fine. However this is my first attempt at setting up a cart period. And Don't understand where I post my weight for each item I put up for sale on my site. Please make it as clear as possible as I am a beginner. Willing to learn just need some guidance. Thank You in advance.

Kindest Regards ...Sara

Sep 05 2008 03:32:51

tom g

Use the units parameter to post weight.

If using a form:
    If using a link: &units=2.5

Sep 05 2008 03:42:20

Debbie Q

Toms answer was cut off. I have put an extra space in so it will not be cut off.

For forms you would use < input type=hidden name=units value=2.5> or what ever the weight is.

If you are using a productpr statement the units go after the price. product:price:units

If you are using an addmulti cart you need to use the corresponding product number.

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Sep 05 2008 15:52:10

Sara

Hi Debbie...Thank you for your help. ...if you can help or anyone else can sure would appreciate it ....as .....I am still having a little trouble so here is the code I am working with. This is for a buy now button that is set up to work with the USPS and FEDEX calculator....

<form action="http://ww11.aitsafe.com/cf/add.cfm"; method="post">
    <input type="hidden" name="userid" value="D6237277">
    <input type="hidden" name="product" value="Item Name or Number Here">
    <input type="hidden" name="price" value="1.99">
    <input type="hidden" name=qty value="1">
    <input type="hidden" name="return" value="http://www.sweetmagnoliasantiquesandprimitives.com/GobblersStrut.html">;
    <input type=submit value="Add to Cart">
    </form>

I know it seems straight forward to you. So please be patient with me as this is all new to me. I understand adding the item name and the qty. and the price. However Mal told me the field name should be units instead of price. O.k. I get that.... I took the field name and changed it to units. But now where do I post the price of the item ? I looked in the help section but there isn't any sample like this or clear cut way that I can understand on how to fix this. I tried to add in the same coded line twice and leave one price and the other change to units. But it didn't work ....Any Suggestions or Help would be appreciated...Thank you for taking the time to help us newbies !!!...

Sara

Sep 05 2008 16:01:04

Sara

Well I am back rather qucikly .....Nix the last question on the code I got it to working. Down to one last glitch in my cart ..I will see if I can work that out if not one of you lucky people will get my question...

Thanks to all of you who take the time to help out on the forum. I am new at this and it's been a learning experience...but without your help it would have been even harder .....So a BIG THANK YOU to all of ....!!!!!!

Sara

Sep 05 2008 20:18:33

Debbie Q

Glad you figured the units part out. You do have a problem with your code still tho. In your return field you need to remove the http://

< input type="hidden" name="return" value="www.sweetmagnoliasantiquesandprimitives.com/GobblersStrut.html">;

Debbie Q

Sep 05 2008 21:00:45

Alan

It may do no harm but there's a surplus semicolon in the first line of the form after add.cfm.

Sep 06 2008 01:14:30

Sara

Hi Debbie Hi Alan ..thanks Again. O.k. Debbie if I remove that will it keep them from returning to my page ? Someone has helped me with the basic code and then has left the rest up to me. So I assumed that was the return for my site ??? Am I wrong ?

AND ...Here is my next question....when using the calculators USPS and FEDEX on the Advanced shipping ..It gives a quote according to weight for the buyer. BUT ...I know on many of my packages that will be large items ..Size is going to play into the picture also. So is there a way to add code in for size so the calculator can figure it with both of these critical points? I sure don't want to eat it on shipping and it can amount to quite a bit when size enters in. If there isn't any code does anyone have any suggestions ?

Thanks Again...Sara

Sep 06 2008 06:20:44

Debbie Q

On the return code if you keep the http:// the continue shopping button will give you an error page. You need to remove it.

I think the only way to add for the large size packaging would be to set your units higher on those products to make up the extra cost needed.

Debbie Q

Sep 06 2008 14:35:11

Sara

Thank You again Debbie....

I will get that removed from the code. That's too bad the calcualtors don't work with sizelike the ones at the USPS and FEDEX site. With the new changes at USPS any box over 12 x 12 x 12 inches is considered oversize and can have a surcharge added to it. and at FEDEX there is a point that size becomes and issue as well. I think your idea is probably the best and I will just have to go to each place individually and see what weight will get me to the equivalent price of weight and size....Will take a bit of work in the beginning but I'm sure it can be done.

Once again Thank You....you all have been the BEST !!!

Sara