Community Forums 

Main Content

eu cookies regulations

Feb 05 2012 18:10:43

paul_richardson

Hi Guys,

I have been reading about the EU Cookies Regulations and am a little confused.

It says people must "opt in" to accept cookies, but then says if cookies are essential (such as shopping sites) then it is not neccesary.

Does any one know the truth?

Regards,

Paul

Feb 05 2012 22:43:20

Debbie Q

GT posted this a couple days ago...

"My reading of the publication and Mal has confirmed it, is that shopping cart cookies are exempt."

"This exception is likely to apply, for example, to a cookie used to ensure that when a user of a site has chosen the goods they wish to buy and clicks the ‘add to basket’ or ‘proceed to checkout’ button, the site ‘remembers’ what they chose on a previous page. This cookie is strictly necessary to provide the service the user requests (taking the purchase they want to make to the checkout) and so the exception would apply and no consent would be required."

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Apr 14 2012 19:26:29

Pertinax

Am I correct to understand that the shopping cart won't work if the users have cookies disabled ?

I've read elsewhere that the cookies expire after an hour - is that 1 hour from being created or 1 hour from last use ?

Is that irrespective of the browser state or do the cookies expire immediately if the browser is closed ?

Apr 14 2012 19:48:25

Pertinax

Actually, is it completely true that the cookies expire after one hour ?

If on the Payments page, the buyer ticks the
    'Remember my name and address for my future purchases.' box doesn't this create a permanent cookie ?

Apr 15 2012 05:11:04

GT

By checking the box to save their information, they are accepting a cookie. The cookie does not store any information that is private.

Having trouble with a form or need one building?
    Fast turnaround, but I do charge :)

Mal's Forms / Scripts and the syntax are here.

Apr 28 2012 15:24:18

cassie75

GT said By checking the box to save their information, they are accepting a cookie. The cookie does not store any information that is private.

Is there any way of changing what the cart says to make it clear - ie

Remember my name and address for my future purchases. By clicking this you accept a cookie will be downloaded to your computer. This is to comply with EU's Privacy and Communications Directive that came into force on the 26 May 2011.

I also have forum - know it is nothing to do with Mal's but wondered how others are getting around this issue for their forums?

Life is too short to work 8 hours a day - thats why I work 16 :-)