Community Forums 

Main Content

Pay Pal Orders are Acting Up

Aug 25 2012 21:23:17

Yukon4

Lately, many of our Pay Pal orders are not going thru. Clients report that they get up to the point of logging into their pay pal, then are told the transactions is canceled. Sometimes they appear to have paid, but no notification is sent to us, and their order is marked as unverified.

This does not happen to all orders, but it is happening with MANY. Enough that we are losing sales. Some folks make a few attempts, then give up and go elsewhere to purchase their book. I cannot see where the problem is. I tried a transaction myself, and it went thru just fine. But, in our list of orders, 11 our of 22 orders are marked in RED, and "unverified". HELP! What to do? We've checked all our settings and they look just the same as they'e always been. (This used to work flawlessly for a long time and we've changed nothing).

Thank you!

Aug 25 2012 23:17:50

Debbie Q

I think I would contact PayPal and see if they can tell you why so many of your orders are not going through.

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Aug 26 2012 04:35:17

Yukon4

Thanks Debbie -- we did talk to Pay Pal. They said everything is fine at their end, so it must be our shopping cart. I tend to think the problem would lie within Pay Pal too, but . . .

What does it mean when our orders are listed in RED and marked "unverified"? Does that mean they were unable to use Pay Pal for some reason? I'm trying to figure out what all the orders in RED have in common -- why did it work fine for me, but NOT for them??

Aug 26 2012 17:32:10

Debbie Q

Orders in red mean the cart does not know if they paid or not.

Sometimes it means they did not or could not pay but if the money shows in your PayPal account it means the call back to the cart did not happen for some reason.

Debbie Q

Aug 26 2012 19:23:35

Yukon4

Debbie Q said Orders in red mean the cart does not know if they paid or not.

Sometimes it means they did not or could not pay but if the money shows in your PayPal account it means the call back to the cart did not happen for some reason.

- - - and what would cause the "call back to the cart" to NOT work? Is there anything I can check or change? Is it a setting within Mal's? Thanks again.

Aug 26 2012 23:25:49

Debbie Q

I am going to assume you are using PayPal Standard or Express. Double check your setup in both PayPal and the cart.

In the cart payment set up, click the "PayPal" link. 1) Check the button by Website Payments Standard. 2) Enter your PayPal email address. 3) Return the customer back to the cart. 4) check the box where it says "PayPal should make an IPN call to the cart to confirm when someone pays." Don't forget to check the update button at the bottom.

In PayPal Click the "Profile" tab. Under "Hosted payment Settings" find the "Website Payment Preferences" link and click it. Set "Auto return" to On and enter your website URL. It doesn't matter what you put there. The cart will override it and send the customer back to the Carts Thank-you page.

Debbie Q

Aug 27 2012 02:17:41

Yukon4

Thanks Debbie,

We checked and Mal's and PP are setup as you described -- and have always been!

The puzzling thing is that for half our customers, there is no problem at all, (which shows that everything is set up correctly) and then with another half, it doesn't work and the payment doesn't go thru, or we do not get notified, or they give up and shop elsewhere. It shouldn't make any diff whether the customer has their own PP account or not, right?

Ugggh. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Aug 27 2012 05:09:47

Debbie Q

You need to look at all orders and find the common denomiator on which ones are working and which are not. It could make a difference if they have a PP acount or not. Could it be orders from different countries? Or different currancies? Lots of could bes. Are you using PayPal Standard? PayPal Express?

Debbie Q