Community Forums 

Main Content

Shipping using Pre-paid mail bags.

Aug 29 2012 11:01:15

DavidO

Hi. I've been using Mal's for years but have always charged the shipping manually. But i'm finally thinking of building the shipping into the shopping cart. I always use Pre-paid Australia Post 500g and 3 kg bags. (Thats about 1lb and 6lb). I put as many items as possible in the bags and charge the customer either $5 or $10 (thats a little less than my cost) depending on which bag I use. I also have one small item that I send out for free because it fits in an ordinary envelope. I only sell about 10 different products but they are various sizes and range in price from about $30 to $200.

My question then is which shipping option do I use? I've been reading the forum and I've seen 'Option 7 using volume as the unit ' as a possible solution. Can anyone comment before I charge into this.

Thanks
    David

Aug 29 2012 15:41:41

Alan

If the main consideration were weight, you'd give each item a units value equal to its weight, with your lightweight items having a units value of 0. You could then make a table using option 7.

UNITS COST
    0.5 ___ 5 ____ charge 5 for one small bag
    2.5 ___ 5 ____ charge another 5 if a larger bag needed (up to 3kg)
    0.5 ___ 5 ____ one small and one large bag
    2.5 ___ 5 ____ two large bags take 6kg

With volume as a factor you need to give each product a units value that reflects its share of the smaller bag. If you can fit 5 of the item into a small bag then maybe a units value of 20. But if its weight is more than 20% of the bag's weight capacity of 0.5kg you would use that larger percentage.

It would not be an exact solution and you'd need to experiment to tune the values.

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/

Aug 30 2012 01:32:21

DavidO

Thanks Alan. The items are pretty light so volume is the issue.

I've had a quick look at the excellent 'stoner' link and will examine it more closely shortly. But this change will take a lot of experimenting I think.

Is there a way to test the result of various shipping settings before launching the changes onto the public? I usually test small changes by making dummy purchases but that could get pretty tedious and messy in this case

Aug 31 2012 01:02:19

Alan

There's a ten year old spreadsheet in which you can put your UNITS/COST values and see a range of results..

Don't know if it will help but a spreadsheet sounds like one option.

http://www.stoner.org.uk/mals/shipping.xls

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/