Community Forums 

Main Content

Putting items on sale

Feb 09 2009 15:30:39

JameyLynn

Is there a way to put something in a form that would tell the form to send the price of an item to the cart, for say 10 or 15% less then the price in the code?

I'm putting some items on sale and it just really takes a long time to manually change all the prices, especially when the prices have to be changed back manually when the sale is done.

It would be great to be able to just paste something telling it to be less and delete out that thing later.

Make sense?

JameyLynn
    Howaco Glass Supply Co
    www.howacoglass.com

Feb 10 2009 01:30:46

Neil

You can set up various discount options in Cart Admin, but I don''t know of any other method. You can apply a percentage off for quantities or order amounts etc. Maybe that will work for you?

Feb 10 2009 02:39:20

JameyLynn

It can't be something in the cart setup. Just sometimes we like to have certain items on sale. I put 11 items on sale, but each item had 4 levels of pricing, so I had to manually change the pricing in 44 places. Yuck. I do save the original webpage in a hidden page, so when it is time for the sale to be done, I can just copy over the page with the original information. It is just doing the sales prices that takes so long.

I was thinking that there would be a way to maybe have a formula in the price? I keep thing of how in excel you can have formula's in cells. Just wishing for an easier solution. We have sales on a regular bases.

This is the page I put on sale, so you can see all the repricing that had to be done. http://www.howacoglass.com/double_helix.html I have another line I would love to put on sale, but there are over 150 items, with the 4 levels of pricing. I would never be able to do all that.

JameyLynn
    Howaco Glass Supply Co
    www.howacoglass.com

Feb 10 2009 03:01:17

anon

You can use javascript to calculate new values for form parameters.

Feb 10 2009 03:16:18

JameyLynn

I'm afraid you are talking a WHOLE nother language that I know nothing about. Do you know of any examples? Or a site where I could try to learn something like this?

JameyLynn
    Howaco Glass Supply Co
    www.howacoglass.com

Feb 10 2009 15:06:38

Debbie Q

Even if you used a java script you would still need to go back into the page at the end of the sale to remove the java script. I don't understand how that is any easier than just changing the price.

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Feb 10 2009 16:07:50

anon

You wouldn't have to remove the javascript, you would just have to update it. It probably wouldn't be easier the first time because you have to add some javascript to each page. However, after that you could just use the javascript to control discounts. For example, the script could determine what page the product is on and apply the discount if applicable or just leave the price unchanged.

A better way is to use a product database, but if you don't have that a javascript could work.