Community Forums 

Main Content

Using the USPS shipping calculator

Feb 12 2009 23:24:07

JameyLynn

I have started and quit setting up my shipping so many times, but I have to do it and get it done.

I plan on using the USPS shipping calculator. I already have my webtool stuff from USPS.

Can I use the calculator with the free account? I have heard that there is a calculator already built into the premium account if I upgrade. Or do I still need to fully set it up myself even with the premium account?

Will I have to set up zones even if I use the calculator?

JameyLynn
    Howaco Glass Supply Co
    www.howacoglass.com

Feb 13 2009 01:15:42

Debbie Q

With a free cart I believe you have to use some kind of custom script to use a shipping calculator.

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Feb 13 2009 04:12:05

JameyLynn

If I switch to the premium cart, is the calculator already set up, or do I need to set up the calculator and all the zones?

JameyLynn
    Howaco Glass Supply Co
    www.howacoglass.com

Feb 18 2009 12:55:46

Barb

After you add your USPS user name and zip you'll need to setup up the zones, the shipping tables and the countries you're going to ship too. Then you have to select "use advanced shipping calculations. You also have to make sure all your products have a unit weight based on pounds and decimals of pounds.

Feb 26 2009 16:18:28

JameyLynn

Ok, I still don't get it. What is the benefit of using the USPS calculator if it does not know zones already? I use the click n ship service right now. When I imput the customers address, it already knows what to charge. I just really can't wrap my brain around why I need to have to set up all the zones. I ship to everywhere in the world, but I need to pay an extra monthly fee to have to set up all the shipping data myself? There has to be an easier way to do this.

I guess what is throwing me, is really, what is the difference if I take the time to set up all the zones in the free cart vs. setting up all the zones in the premium cart? I still have to do all the work setting it all up reguardless if it is a free account or a paid account. And if using the USPS calculator, why can't the calculator base shipping on what the customer is putting in and using the USPS zones that the USPS already uses?? Why does the Mals cart have to have all the zones set if the USPS already has the zones set?

JameyLynn
    Howaco Glass Supply Co
    www.howacoglass.com

Feb 26 2009 16:35:42

Debbie Q

I believe whey they say "Zones" they are not talking about the USPS area zones. They are talking about types of service like First Class, Priority, Express....

Debbie Q

Feb 27 2009 16:44:26

Barb

yes, Debbie is correct. You need to setup the shipping tables for the type of mail you'll be sending using USPS. You also need to setup the countries where you'll be shipping. The rate calculator will offer the customer the correct shipping price based on weight and the option for shipping they select, first class, priority mail, parcel post, 1st class international etc.

Jun 24 2009 18:36:29

Drake

Does the Premium also offer FedEx and UPS?

Any way of incorporating the USPS Flat Rate Box shipping rate?

Jun 24 2009 18:39:37

Debbie Q

Yes, Premium also offers FedEx and UPS but I do not believe it incoporates Flat Rate shipping.

Debbie Q