Community Forums 

Main Content

Prevent entering of Amex cards before gateway

Feb 19 2009 14:27:31

Maida Carpio Scott

Despite the fact that we announce that we only accept Visa and Mastercard, we had a customer repeatedly try to enter her Amex card for payment.

As a result, the merchant account provider charged us $1.75 per attempt.

Yes, we need to change merchant account providers, but that's another story.

Regardless, is there a setting to pre-validate the card type before it goes to the gateway? Where it checks for the starting digit?

Amex starts with 3, Visa starts with 4, MC starts with 5 and Discover with 6, so it could be an easy check.

Feb 19 2009 15:27:10

Debbie Q

In cart setup under required fields there is a box that says validate credit card fields. Not sure if it would weed out Amex or not. Let us know if it does or doesn't help.

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Feb 19 2009 15:52:44

just visiting

Typically when using a gateway it collects the card number. So I think the message about which cards you accept is just for information in this case - there's no facility to enforce it before the card number is entered.

So the question may be whether you can ask for the first digit in the cart and reject other than 4 or 5. I guess so although a customer could still bypass that step.

Maybe others can suggest what you need to add to the cart.

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/

Aug 24 2009 18:42:39

Maida Carpio Scott

Anyone else have any ideas how to only allow the entry of credit cards that we accept?

We *clearly* have written in several places on the site that we only take Visa/MC, but people still insist on entering numbers from Amex and Discover and we get charged every time.

It's frustrating.

Aug 24 2009 21:45:30

Don

Hi,

I had the same problem early in the year, I emailed Mal but he said there was nothing he could do.

DB.

www.donbarrow.co.uk
    www.pacenotes.com
    Please either Share or Like my Facebook