Community Forums 

Main Content

Allowing only a certain number sold?

Nov 12 2013 19:09:52

Mgom

Is there a way to limit the total number of an item sold? Maybe when the last one is sold any other orders are not accepted? I sell limited edition prints.

Nov 12 2013 19:39:39

Debbie Q

Is your site a database site? If so you can use the call back feature to control your inventory. If not you can check out GT's script here.

http://www.malsforms.com/single-product-new.php

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Nov 12 2013 21:42:42

Mgom

Thanks DQ, I'll check into the script. Was hoping there was something I could do under cart setup.

Nov 14 2013 22:58:36

AliasAngel

The problem with that script is that it counts putting an item in the cart as it being sold. Deleting it from the cart or letting the cart time out will not reset the inventory. So if somebody puts a lot of items in their cart but doesn't actually buy anything, it will still say all those items are sold and not let others buy them. This is a huge problem. A lot of people put multiple items in their cart to compare and then decide which one to buy.

So while really clever, the script is useless if you're not around to constantly reset it due to false sales.

Nov 15 2013 02:37:06

Debbie Q

It is true that it is far from a perfect solution but without a database website I think it is probably your best solution.

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Nov 15 2013 05:34:44

AliasAngel

Debbie Q said It is true that it is far from a perfect solution but without a database website I think it is probably your best solution.

Are there any database carts that are just the cart page and you can insert their purchase button code into an existing layout? All the ones I've looked at make you use their own store layout. I only need inventory and coupon codes.

Or, does anybody know how to edit the script so that it restores the inventory count when an item is deleted from the cart and also if some time has passed without it being purchased (such as a couple hours)?

Nov 15 2013 06:11:47

GT

What's your budget for a script to do that?

Having trouble with a form or need one building?
    Fast turnaround, but I do charge :)

Mal's Forms / Scripts and the syntax are here.

Nov 15 2013 09:29:26

AliasAngel

GT said What's your budget for a script to do that?

I'm going to look into the database option some more first. I'm figuring the script method will always have some problems. I need it to be reliable. If a script can actually have "on hold" and "sold" for in cart and purchased and reset accurately for items deleted from cart, browser being closed, time out... I'd happily pay the $40, probably a bit more. And obviously it would need to work with coupon codes (that apply to the entire cart contents, not just single items).

Nov 15 2013 09:36:40

GT

40 - for a brand new script, to use a new database structure, to do all of the things you need it to do...

Try 400.

Having trouble with a form or need one building?
    Fast turnaround, but I do charge :)

Mal's Forms / Scripts and the syntax are here.

Nov 15 2013 10:09:35

AliasAngel

GT said 40 - for a brand new script, to use a new database structure, to do all of the things you need it to do...

Try 400.

I don't have that kind of money, sorry. I wasn't thinking you'd be writing a custom script for me. I was thinking you'd be selling this to many people like you do with your other script with a price similar to that. Obviously this is a feature that Mal's is lacking and that people want. It's a must for anybody with one-of-a-kind or limited edition products. I think you could get a handful of people lined up pretty quickly who are all willing to pitch in a small amount each for a copy.

1   |   2      »