Community Forums 

Main Content

Sales tax question

Jan 17 2014 03:40:19

dwight

I noticed this line in the cart setup 'Set the rate to the letter Z if you want to use a Tax rate lookup based on the ZIP they provide.'

How do we do this tax lookup? I have downloaded an xls file from the state that lists 1700 cities by name along with the tax rate, but not by zip. I learned that using zip is not accurate as some zips overlap more than one taxing entity.

Feb 01 2014 21:16:03

Mahogan

Dwight, Where did you find this: 'Set the rate to the letter Z if you want to use a Tax rate lookup based on the ZIP they provide.'

My store is in Washington State, and we have to collect and report the appropriate Sales Tax for each City/County in the entire state and each one has a different rate. Sounds exactly like what you mentioned.

I have Not found any way to overcome this major hurdle. Would be great to get more info on how to manage this!

Feb 03 2014 04:20:24

dwight

It's item number 6 under Cart setup > Tax and shipping > Sales Tax. We will have to be satisfied with using the zip, which should be reasonably close for most purchases. Put in the state and then Z for the % Rate.