Community Forums 

Main Content

discountpr v price

Jun 19 2014 20:25:57

cassie75

Does anyone know if there is any down side to using discountpr instead of price?
    I would NOT be using the discount part of it - just want to stop multiple lines for the same item in the cart for items with the same scode.
    I just wanted to know if I was stacking up future problems for myself by global replacing
    name="price" value="
    with
    name="discountpr" value="0,

Life is too short to work 8 hours a day - thats why I work 16 :-)

Jun 19 2014 21:10:37

Alan

Not suitable if you use noship. And maybe take care if using scode.

(And obviously not quite the same change if using addmulti.cfm!)

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/

Jun 19 2014 22:19:53

cassie75

Didn't know there was a noship - what would that be for?

What would the problem with the scode be? Two of my sites use scode to give each item a unique number for stock control - presumably that would not be a problem.
    The other site only uses the scode on a few items and only to mark how many we have left of some discontinued items and to mark which ones are a book and therefore VAT free. Bit of a short cut code for our webmaster and office. Therefore some may have the same code and most have no scode. Would that be where the problem would be?
    If so then I am very glad you mentioned it :-)

Don't think we use addmulti but can do a find on that to check first.

Jun 20 2014 07:35:34

Alan

noship is used with standard shipping when based on the order value. It excludes a product from the shipping calculation, i.e. free shipping for that item.

If two products have the same scode, then I think the cart regards them as the same product when discountpr is used.

There was a strange change in February that may prevent discountpr from working as you want.. You should read https://www.mals-e.com/viewtopic.php?id=27665&mid=27665&fid=2

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/

Jun 20 2014 12:35:47

cassie75

Hi Alan

Had a look at that thread - the important bit is below

Mal Stewart said In effect it means, if you are using discountpr with an scode then the quantity box has to be part of the Buy Now button, it has to be on your website.

I think all my discountpr with scode have the qty box as part of the button as I don't use option cart - which is what the change was for. So I don't think it should be a problem.
    Sample page - http://www.craft-kits.co.uk/foam-cool.htm

But my other cart which does not use scode for a unique number WOULD be a problem so will leave that as "price".

Thanks for pointing out the scode problem - really saved me making a big mistake.