Community Forums 

Main Content

V2 cart problem

Nov 29 2015 16:12:37

cassie75

A customer has uncovered a problem which I can't get my head around.

We use an "empty order" page so customers can send us their card detail again after a decline so we can check the details. We do manual payments.

We add an item to the cart with an amount of -1.49 and the old order number, which they input into a page, which leaves 1p in the basket (after adding UK shipping) to force it to ask for card details. It has worked very well for years, and still does in V1.

But one of my sites is now V2 and it does not work.
    http://www.craft-kits.co.uk/info-card.htm
    You click the UK shipping and then "Checkout" but it says "Sorry, you can only use a gift voucher for part payment of an order.".

The customer in question then went back to the page and added the -1.49 again which made the total -1.48 instead of 1p and now the cart will let you checkout, but will not open the Card Payment Options up. So you click "Order Now" and the order goes through with "Gift Voucher" in the payment option in the emails we get.

This is obviously not good as we still don't have the card details to check.

What I don't understand is why it thinks the -1.49 is a gift voucher?
    And why will it not let people checkout with a 1p total?
    Is there a better way around this AND still having the original order number showing in the cart?

Hope someone can help.

Life is too short to work 8 hours a day - thats why I work 16 :-)

Nov 29 2015 22:02:24

Debbie Q

Have you considered using your secure message board to collect the credit card info instead of a shopping cart?

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Nov 29 2015 22:53:41

cassie75

Hi Debbie

What is the Message Board?
    Is it secure?
    How will the customer know what details to put in there?
    Can more than one message be in there at once?
    Would the customer not find it strange to use that when there is a secure cart available?
    Surely with a cart system set up there must be a better way of collecting card details securely without actually placing a new order?
    Why does the cart think a minus number is a gift card?
    Why won't it allow a 1p transaction?

I have found a long way around the problem. If you click continue shopping after adding the shipping, then go back to the cart it will let you log out.

There must be something wrong with the V2 or i am missing something, perhaps a setting somewhere in the cart?

Nov 30 2015 00:47:24

Debbie Q

When you log into your cart look in the center section under where it says My admin. There is a link to the message board. It is secure. You obviously have to tell them what to do when the card is declined so just give them the link to the message board and tell them the info you need. I don't think they would think it was less strange then your cart with funky numbers. Just assure them it is secure. It can hold multiple messages.

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Dec 10 2015 18:15:51

cassie75

Sorry Debbie but that page is completely not going to work for us. How do you get their address if they use a different card, how do you make sure they give you all the info you need, the page looks so plain and fake I really can't see how a customer would trust that over a cart they have already used and know.

There must be something in the cart I have ticked that I used to use and don't with V2. I will take another look and feedback if I find it for anyone else who may need it.

Dec 14 2015 13:31:39

cassie75

FOUND IT !!

In the gift vouchers - which I don't use - under "Redeem vouchers" it says the following.

Most merchants only allow a gift voucher to be used for part payment of an order. That is, the order total must always be more than the gift voucher and the customer must pay for the remainder.
    If the order total is less than the gift voucher:

- don't let the customer checkout
    - let the customer checkout

I have never used gift vouchers and it was on "don't let the customer checkout". I changed it to the other one and my "empty order" page lets me checkout.

I am not happy that this is a problem though and will be letting Mal know about it. The value of the minus amount was less than the total with shipping so I really don't see why it was not allowing it.

Anyway - sorted - hope it may help someone else :-)

Dec 23 2015 04:25:46

geiswood

Thanks for telling us other cart users about this issue. PLEASE tell us what Mal says when you talk to him.

You did not mention if the other voucher control was ON at the time you experienced the problem. I refer to the "Voucher entry box". This is a box to check or not, and its instructions are:

"Enable a text box in the cart where people can enter their gift voucher"

That is just above the "Redeem vouchers" section - in Cart V1, at least.

Was that box was checked? Does it even exist in Cart V2?

I am trying to decide if I should switch to Cart V2 or not.

I don't use vouchers and now I am worried that switching to V2 might produce the same cart FAIL effect as you have experienced. And I do not want to have to switch the "Redeem vouchers" option
    FROM
    don't let the customer checkout
    TO
    let the customer checkout
    IF
    the order total is less than the gift voucher!

If your "Voucher entry box" was not checked, or if it does not exist in V2, then this is a bigger potential problem.

Nothing voucher-related should even EXIST on the order page if there is no place on the page to enter the voucher in the first place! There should be NO WAY for tricksters to make use of a non-existent voucher worth more -- or less -- than the total in the cart.

Yes, Mal should be consulted. Why *did* the cart think you had a voucher at all?

Thanks for the info!

Dec 23 2015 12:43:26

cassie75

We have used the voucher box in the past in the V1 cart but it is switched off since we went to V2. There is no voucher box in the cart at the moment.

But that is in a different place to the Gift Vouchers box which we have never used.

If you do want to test V2 make sure you create a new cart account as a test account. There is a lot of things need tweaking and it goes live as soon as you click the "change version" button.

Good Luck