Community Forums 

Main Content

Call me crazy.....

Feb 02 2016 04:29:17

msleah

Ok..so... Please clear this up for me someone....

We've been using links for Mals for years. We now are adding more products to our site that are heavier than our previous Product.

Because of this, we have to shift to using weight based shipping. SO.....Zones....

Am I supposed to know how many zones I need and what they are? Where do I get this info. Please forgive my ignorance, but I have searched through the help files and can find no info on shipping zones - besides that I need them for weight based shipping. Thanks for your help....

Feb 02 2016 11:57:49

GT

What were you previously using as the cost multiplier, product or price or units?

If units, simply increase the units value to account for the new products.

Having trouble with a form or need one building?
    Fast turnaround, but I do charge :)

Mal's Forms / Scripts and the syntax are here.

Feb 02 2016 16:55:51

Debbie Q

It would have been better if you would have made your subject have something to do with your question. Like maybe "I need shipping help?" Hopefully Alan our shipping expert will look at your post with a subject like this.

In Mal's cart "Zones" are not the same as the Zones at the USPS service. They are just a way of dividing up services. If you need exact quotes from a shipping service you will need a premium cart and you will need to put the weight of each item in your product code using a value of units. Depending on your needs this might not be your only option.

You might want to do some reading on the shipping page I have a link to in my signature. It explains the many ways the cart can handle shipping.

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Feb 02 2016 19:09:25

msleah

Well... I hope Alan answers the question also.... I didn't know it was an absolute must.... I was just frustrated and have read almost everything I could find (over and over).

We are using the link method for selling CD's.
    Option 6: Calculated by quantity in bands.

Since we were only selling CD's this worked for us because we knew offhand what the weight was for the CD's and selling in bands worked for us
    Here's a copy of the link we are using for our CD's.

http://ww#aitsafe.com/cf/add.cfm?userid=1234567&product=Fired+Up+CD&price=10.99&qty=1&return=www.PhilandBrendaNicholas.com/philandbrendanicholasmusic.html&units=1

Now we are selling decorative bottles which of course has a heavier weight. So if someone buys CD's and say one decorative bottle, or just a CD buy itself......?

Someone has suggested "increasing the units value to the acct for the new products". Sorry I don't understand how increasing the units would help weight wise.

But I would love to be able to do this without dealing with zones - if this is possible.

Thanks for any help and sorry for my ignorance.

Leah.... :)

Feb 02 2016 19:36:28

Debbie Q

Let's say a CD weighs 4 ounces to ship and the bottle weighs 12 ounces to ship. You could put units=1 on the CD and units=3 on the bottle.

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Feb 02 2016 19:46:19

msleah

Thanks for your reply Debbie.... and the numbered units correspond with....?

Is there any way you can give me an example of that link please....

Thanks again....

Feb 02 2016 22:28:10

Alan

Out all day but now home! Using standard shipping, you only need 'zones' if you want more than one table of charges.

You have a link with &units=1 so you know how to show units in a link.

If, as has been suggested, you set units for a product to its weight, you then need a table (or tables) that charge the appropriate amounts as the total weight increases. It's probably simplest to make the units value correspond to the actual weight, perhaps in ounces. So 4 ounces would need &units=4. Perhaps add a little for packaging.

Standard shipping option 6 will no longer do as it uses the total number of items, not the total weight. You could try option 7 but note that you have only five possible charges and five steps in your table.

If you have a premium account (paid for rather than free) you can have many more price steps.

With standard shipping option 7 (or 6 as now) and one table then shipping is the same charge regardless of destination. Or speed of delivery.

To enable you to charge more for international shipping, for example, or first class delivery, standard shipping allows you to specify several zones, up to 5, each with its own table.

Do you have a premium account, i.e. you pay Mal, or a free account? That may affect how you define the prices.

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/

Feb 02 2016 22:38:05

msleah

Hi Alan...Unfortunately, I dont have a premium acct.

Is there a thread or help files that will show me how to configure the tables (if I understand you correctly)? OR, will Serif WebPlus x6 - Wizard do it....?

Thanks Alan

Feb 03 2016 15:36:43

Alan

There are some documents at the link below my posts. The Advanced shipping ones are probably a little out of date but standard shipping hasn't changed.

Your choices are really options 5 and 7 and in each you can define up to 5 bands.

Using option 7 the COST values in the relevant bands (the number depends on the UNITS total) are added to come up with the shipping cost. So there are 5 possible charges. COST from step 1. COST from step 1 plus COST from step 2, etc., up to the total of the five COST values.

Using option 5, the COST values are multiplied by the number of units in the relevant bands. So the shipping charge is unlimited.

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/