Community Forums 

Main Content

German characters , , and replaced in confirmation mail

    Apr 22 2016 21:36:29

    #1

    Zinni

    Join date : 2009-10-10      Posts : 5

    Some Products on my Website are containing the german characters , , and , that are all displayed correctly in the cart, but in the confirmation mail they are replaced with ä, Ö, ü and ß. The website uses ISO/IEC 8859-1 for coding and it all worked fine until the mid of march. Since then Im receiving the incorrect confirmation mails although I did not change anything in the button codes. Does anybody have an idea what the problem is and how to fix it? (Did Mals change anything on their server?)



    Apr 23 2016 02:28:46

    #2

    Debbie Q

    Join date : 2008-09-18      Posts : 4994

    Email Mal and ask him. Then report back here so we know.

    Debbie Q

    Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

    My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

    Please help me out and share my site on your networks.




    Apr 25 2016 21:11:12

    #3

    Russell_Pic

    Join date : 2012-04-06      Posts : 8

    It changed on 27th March, all my French orders were fine up till then and wrong after that, it's a real nuisance as the my French customers use a lot of accented characters as I'm sure do your German ones.

    I did put a line of text at the bottom of the shipping info stating (in French obviously) 'please avoid using accented characters in the name and address'
    It has reduced the problem but not eliminated it.

    I now have to manually change the offending characters when copying and pasting to the carriers site. Some also appear on the customers confimation and I can't change them. Let's hope it can be sorted.

    Out of interest, I did get an order confirmation on 23rd April about 1500 hrs, it was sent in a different layout to normal with a Times Roman fount and a bit jumbled up, but it did have the correct accents.



    May 17 2016 09:55:13

    #4

    Zinni

    Join date : 2009-10-10      Posts : 5

    Thank you for your replies! Meanwhile, i had some email-conversation with Mal, mentioning that im not the only one who is affected by this and that it occurs since march, 27th . Finally, he changed the character encoding for my account but that did not yet solve the problem, so at the moment im just hoping that soon he will be able to fix it.



    May 31 2016 20:57:00

    #5

    Russell_Pic

    Join date : 2012-04-06      Posts : 8

    Hi Zimmi, Yes I see the encoding changed a few days ago, I now have little squares with question marks in them, where accented characters should be. It also changed again today (31.5.16), my latest confirmation has the accented letter missing altogether and nothing is in it's place.