Community Forums 

Main Content

Accurate shipping for USPS Priority Flat Rate?

Jun 17 2016 21:27:20

TerrEssentials

Our customers around the world want their shipping costs to be as low as possible (and who can blame them?). They also want to know exactly what their shipping rate will be at the point of purchase. In many (but not all) cases, the best rate can be obtained by finding a USPS Priority Flat Rate or Regional Rate box into which the order will fit.

It appears to me that this is not possible with Mal's shopping cart, which is understandable since the "bin packing problem" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bin_packing_problem) is really very complicated.

I'd like to know how other people handle this dilemma. Are there plug-ins that can handle this issue? Alternative shopping carts (don't really want to go there)? Is there some way to automate the determination of the best shipping method? I'm having a really hard time getting my head around this.

What's the best solution you've found?

Jun 18 2016 07:27:17

Alan

I think the only plug-in for Mals that has been mentioned is that of autoinc. However, their documentation admits they cannot handle this issue without dimensional information.

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/

Jun 18 2016 23:03:27

TerrEssentials

Hi, Alan. Presumably you mean AuctionInc?

Having looked over the details about AuctionInc, it appears that Mal's shopping cart can't be configured to feed it the necessary dimensional information. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

So...providing true shipping costs is simply not doable. Well, darn.

Jun 19 2016 05:43:02

Alan

Yes, apologies for the mistype. And, no, it can't be precise.

In your retail market, do competitors try and approximate to actual shipping costs or would a percentage of the product cost be acceptable?

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/

Jun 19 2016 11:35:19

GT

If you know the dimension of the product and or weight that UPS or whoever is being used and their charge for a set dimension and or weight, you could create a javascript to add the shipping from your website.

Having trouble with a form or need one building?
    Fast turnaround, but I do charge :)

Mal's Forms / Scripts and the syntax are here.