Community Forums 

Main Content

Free Shipping on one item but want to prevent an additional discount

Sep 09 2008 16:03:44

Frank P Roberson Jr

I have set up free shipping for one item, a 2-ounce sample bottle of my concentrated cleaning product. It will cost $2.89. I have tested it and it works fine.

I also have some discount vouchers I have created. One of them is available from a public source, so anyone that saw it could use it and get a 20% discount.

I don't want someone to get the free shipping on the sample bottle AND potentially also get a discount on the order.

Is there a way to prevent that or is there a better solution that I may not be thinking of?

I ship the sample bottles via the US Postal Service for pretty cheap but can't use Click and Ship online for that since it is not Priority or Express. So, dropping the price down and then having it calculate shipping is not an option since Click and Ship does not include Parcel post.

Shipping the sample bottle like this keeps the cost really cheap for potential customers to try the product.

I want to be able to keep the discount vouchers available because that is good for driving customers, also.

Thank you for any help or suggestions you can provide.

Sep 09 2008 16:09:28

Debbie Q

There is no way to keep the voucher from the item with the free sample. But....

Do you have PayPal? With PayPal's Multi Ship you can print all kinds of shipping labels including first class and parcel post.

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Sep 09 2008 18:39:44

phrabs

Edited: Thanks, Debbie Q. Since I am creating a separate page for this sample bottle offer, I guess I could just redirect the "customer/sampler" to PayPal since they would not likely also buy one of the full-size bottles when they are getting a sample one to try out.

Would prefer to keep them all in the same place, but....

I didn't know about that with PayPal, so I will check that out. I use PayPal's Virtual Terminal to process all my payments anyway if they are just paying with a credit card. Mal's has worked beautifully to capture the cc information for this for 1.5 years now.

Sep 09 2008 23:00:14

Debbie Q

You could also use direct to Payment in Mals. I think it bypasses the voucher. (not positive tho) http://mals-e.com/support/topicbody.php?topic_id=28

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Sep 10 2008 02:56:09

phrabs

Edited: Edited: Edited: Thank you again, Debbie Q.

I have played around with different options and decided to price the sample bottle and use a set shipping amount. I believe the multi-shipper option in PayPal will work or I can just buy postage for it since the amount will be first class and the amount will be the same on each little box I use.

Here's the page: http://www.immacu-10.com/sample-bottle.html - it is not fancy but it worked in my tests ($1.29 per bottle and $2.02 for shipping). The site is due for an overhaul which I hope to get to soon.

Thanks again.