Community Forums 

Main Content

Why can't the cart calculate tax before knowing shipping details?

Dec 14 2016 13:27:50

DavidO

I would like the cart to calculate and display the 10% tax that I have already included in my prices, regardless of where the customer is located.

If I look in the 'Based on shipping address' section I can have this option, but unfortunately it only lets me choose 1 country, which does not suit me. (Or at least i think thats what it says)

If I look in the 'Before shipping address' section I don't get this option at all. (It will ADD tax, but it will not calculate tax that is already included).

A solution to my problem would for Mal to add the desired option to the 'Before shipping address' section, OR to add an 'All Countries' button to the Country selector. (No.8).

But then again perhaps I am misunderstanding something. Can anybody comment?

Dec 14 2016 18:04:27

GT

Have you added tax in your button or form?

&tax=value here
    <input type="hidden" name="tax" value="value here">

Then at Mals setup, make...

There are two bases on which the rate of tax can be set:

A fixed rate set in Admin which is applied to all products.
    An individual rate you set in your Buy Now buttons for each product.

With the second basis you need to add a field named tax to your Buy Now buttons with the value equal to the percentage tax rate for that product. For example; if the rate is 10% then set tax=10 in its Buy Now button. A rate of tax=0 in your Buy Now button will mean no tax for that item. This is the default value, when no tax field is present.

With both bases, shipping is taxed using the rate you enter in Admin and the value of Discounts will reduce the tax total by that rate as well.

My syntax page says:-

The specific value of tax to be added to a product, most people use the tax section in the cart, but you may have a product that is exempt from tax, in which case the syntax would be tax=0 or, if most of your products are tax free, you might want to use tax=15 when a product is taxable. Any tax value is taken as a percentage.

Having trouble with a form or need one building?
    Fast turnaround, but I do charge :)

Mal's Forms / Scripts and the syntax are here.

Dec 16 2016 02:18:58

DavidO

Thanks GT. I need to work this through.

Anyway, is there a way to test changes to the cart, from order through to notification, without doing it 'Online'. I don't want to mess up what I have, or be continually changing what customers see online, until I have it worked out.

Thanks

Dec 16 2016 06:21:44

GT

Yes, you can get a free cart and use that...

Dec 16 2016 13:53:13

DavidO

I already have a free cart. I've been using it for years. But I have a host of changes in mind. I would like to experiment with them before putting them online.

Dec 16 2016 17:03:10

GT

OK, I'll say it a different way...

Get ANOTHER free cart and test using that one :)