Community Forums 

Main Content

Alert for Abandoned Cart

Jan 23 2017 23:01:45

TeaHerbMilkSoaps

Hi,

I don't usually check the orders link for my account, but I am aware that it lists all customer orders. However, yesterday, I decided to check it and there was an incomplete order (in red) or what might be known as an abandoned cart as the customer did not follow through by paying for the order.

She filled out all of her info, including email address, street address and phone number, so I sent her an email offering 10% off if she completes her order by Jan 26, 2017.

I would like to know if it's possible to set up alerts so that when a customer does not complete their order with a payment, that I receive an email alert so I can offer an incentive, such as 10% off.

Thank you.

Jan 27 2017 13:32:52

cassie75

I don't know the answer, didn't know there was such a thing anyway, assume it has something to do with paypal.

But I do know that lots of "savvy" blogs and tv shows are suggesting to people that they abandon carts on purpose so that the shop will send them a voucher.

Don't like the thought of this and have never done it myself, but the practice of abandoning carts to get discounts will just get worse if we pander to them.

Life is too short to work 8 hours a day - thats why I work 16 :-)

Feb 06 2017 13:41:03

Harm

This happens regularly with PayPal. Customer pays on PayPal and then forgot to return to the cart. This way , the cart does not know the order has been completed and will NOT send you an email.
    However, in this case PAYPAL should be alerting you to a received payment.

Only other cases it happens if the customer gets confused about the payment method they should choose or maybe which shipping zone applies.

TeaHerbMilkSoaps said Hi,

I don't usually check the orders link for my account, but I am aware that it lists all customer orders. However, yesterday, I decided to check it and there was an incomplete order (in red) or what might be known as an abandoned cart as the customer did not follow through by paying for the order.

She filled out all of her info, including email address, street address and phone number, so I sent her an email offering 10% off if she completes her order by Jan 26, 2017.

I would like to know if it's possible to set up alerts so that when a customer does not complete their order with a payment, that I receive an email alert so I can offer an incentive, such as 10% off.

Thank you.

Feb 09 2017 08:37:30

Alan

Our experience is that a 'black' order in cart admin would mean the cart received positive feedback about payment.

And red means that the payment system, e.g. Paypal, is not set up to send feedback, did not send feedback, sent negative feedback, or sent feedback that didn't arrive back at Mals.

So if it's red in admin, consulting the payment system record is necessary.

I believe some payment systems email the merchant when a payment is made. In that case it might be possible to detect the lack of a response within x minutes of receiving an order email from Mal.

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/