Community Forums 

Main Content

Shipping Options

Sep 04 2017 19:24:46

BT2000

I am new to this shopping card, and want to set up what I think are very simple shipping options ... Some products can ship via US mail - flat rate of $1. Others are larger and will ship UPS - flat rate of $15 for continental US, $80 for Hawaii/Alaska. (This is an oversimplification, but if I can get this, then I can tweak it.)

I am setting up option 5, with 3 zones, named US Mail, UPS Continental US, and UPS Hawaii/Alaska. Up to 1 costs $1, $15, $80, respectively; I can tweak that for multiple items to give realistic costs for each "zone". That seems to work, but ... The cart comes up with a "select your shipping" section giving the customer the choice to choose which one? I don't want the customer to be able to choose the $1 option if the item has to ship UPS to Alaska. How do I take that out of the customer's control and control it myself? TIA

Sep 05 2017 07:23:19

Alan

I don't think you can force the user to choose the right option, only check the order to ensure that he has done so (the 'zone' will be shown in admin).

You can give the shipping calulation one value - either the total number of products or the total of their units values. It doesn't have both.

But maybe the simplification has gone too far. Will it cope with a mix of objects in the order? Maybe you could manage without the 'US mail' zone leaving two geographical options and give different units values to the two product types.

What will you do with a mix - send everything by UPS? And what volumes of each type do you expect to see?

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/