Community Forums 

Main Content

Shipping questions

Nov 01 2017 19:01:41

dreaminbohemian

I am sorry as this is probably a repeat questions, but it is so abstract to me. I have had a mals account for ten years or so, not even sure at this point. And I have neveer had my shipping set up to where it even makes any sense to me. The last item that was ordered from my site ended up costing me 25.00 to ship but I had only charged 12 or 15. ouch. Sooo, I figure it might be time to figure this out and take it more seriously.
    I sell custom painted items. From clothing, to wine glasses to shoes and boots and signs.
    I vaguely understand what units are, LOL, and I have no idea what bands are. That being said, I am getting pretty good at knowing how much certain things will end up weighing and their measurements. My prices for my artwork is all over the board....so, charging shipping by value doesn't make as much sense as charging by size and weight of the package.
    I am just confused as to which option makes most sense for my site. Any suggestions? I am about to the point of another poster that said he would pay someone to set it up for him. LOL
    So, say someone orders painted boots. the box would be 20"x15"x6" and weight 5.5 pounds. How do I figure out the units of that product?
    I hope this isn't as confusing as I am confused.
    Thank you for your time,
    Adrienne

Nov 01 2017 20:36:51

Alan

If most of your orders are of a custom item, it's fairly easy. Set the units value to the shipping cost.

Is this the case?

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/

Nov 02 2017 16:28:40

dreaminbohemian

Alan said If most of your orders are of a custom item, it's fairly easy. Set the units value to the shipping cost.

Is this the case?

I am not sure. LOL Ok, the main things I paint on are shoes, glasses, denim overalls and wooden signs.
    Which shipping option in set up should I use? And I am not sure how I would change the units to shipping cost when my customers are all over the world and shipping costs vary for each item depending on where it is going.

Nov 02 2017 17:06:06

Alan

A rough and ready approach would be to set a product's units value to its US shipping cost.

A Standard Shipping table with option 5 and 1 in the COST column would then charge that amount for the product. If you had two products then the two shipping costs would be added together.

UNITS COST
    rest ___ 1 ___ multiply the units total by 1

You can have 5 such zone tables so if it costs twice as much to ship to Europe you could put 2 in the cost column for a Europe zone table, doubling the shipping charge. (I did say rough and ready).

Use of 'Bands' means not all units need be charged at the same rate. The first band might be priced at a fixed rate, e.g. the first 3 cost 5, or at a fixed rate for each unit in the band, say 2 per unit.

In the first example, 1, 2, or 3 units would cost 5 in total. In the second case, 1 unit would cost 2, 2 units would 4, and 3 units would cost 6.

The next band might have different values. For example covering the next 5 units at a rate of 1.5.

Mal's Advanced shipping includes the option to calculate USPS, UPS and other prices but these are generally based on the units total representing the total weight of the shipment, ignoring dimensions, and presumably assuming a single package.

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/