Community Forums 

Main Content

Using Google Analytics to Track Sales Conversions

Sep 10 2008 01:13:58

comerchant

Is anyone successfully using Google Analytics with their Mal's cart to track conversion rates? If so how did you accomplish it?

I've entered my Google Analytics ID in the appropriate place in the cart settings. Additionally I've configured my Google Analytics tracking coding according to their specifications for tracking conversions on a separate store site (which I assume is the correct setting for Mal's?).

I did a search on the topic in the forum archives however there doesn't seem to be too much information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 10 2008 02:36:28

tom g

Yes, we use Google Analytics to track conversion rates.

Sep 10 2008 02:46:04

comerchant

tom g said: Edited: Yes, we use Google Analytics to track conversion rates. A few suggestions:

Thanks Tom. I did find a link to the old forums and found a thread that was very useful which I printed out as a reference. Based on what I read I assume I'll need to set up two separate goal funnels.

G1 Successful Checkout Email Invoice
    G2 Successful Checkout PayPal

In theory I guess I would need a third if I wanted to track Google Checkout orders as well correct?

I went ahead and set up the first goal G1 Successful Checkout Email Invoice however I'm not yet seeing the data in Google Analytics. Does it take awhile to register?

My second question is regarding PayPal. Now if I want to funnel orders via PayPal the first few steps are the same.

Add item
    Go to payments
    Choose payment method

Now when selecting PayPal you're redirected to a PayPal URL with lots of parameters. How would one go about correctly inputting that step into the goal funnel?

Sep 10 2008 02:58:44

tom g

- Google checkout is a whole other thing - it doesn't work with Mal's cart.

Sep 10 2008 03:15:49

comerchant

tom g said: - There is a time lag of about 12 hours or so. By default, Google Analytics shows data through the previous day. If you change the end date to the current day, you only see partial data.

Thanks for the clarification. After setting up the Google Analytics coding on our site on one product page I ran a few test orders. One of the test orders is now showing up under the Ecommerce area which is great. Hopefully the others will appear by tomorrow. If so I can proceed forward with the setup on the remaining pages.

- Google checkout is a whole other thing - it doesn't work with Mal's cart.

I'm surprised that Google Checkout doesn't work with the tracking features as we've been using it with Mal's for a few months now. Only a small percentage of our orders are paid using GC so I'm not too worried about it at this point.

- I'm not very familiar with Paypal and the configuration would depend on which version you are using - Express, Standard or Pro. In order to include it in the funnel, the Paypal page has to include the Analytics code with your ID. If you use Head Match in your funnel setup, Analytics will ignore the query string and just match on the page name.

Hmmm this will definitely present a problem. I will have to think about it a little more.

Sep 10 2008 03:17:44

comerchant

Edited: Another question... when using the special Google Analytics coding in product pages do you also have to use that same coding in other site pages such as the home page, contact or about pages or can the standard coding be used on those pages?

Also which coding is correct

'<script type="text/javascript">
    var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-000000-1");
    pageTracker._setDomainName("none");
    pageTracker._initData();
    pageTracker._trackPageview();
    </script>'

or

'<script type="text/javascript">
    var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-000000-1");
    pageTracker._setDomainName("none");
    pageTracker._setAllowLinker(true);
    </script>'

Also I thought I'd mention that we also use scodes so I'm hoping everything will work out wonderfully.

Sep 10 2008 09:52:22

tom g

It is best to put the code on all your pages.

Sep 10 2008 14:55:17

comerchant

tom g said: Edited: Here is the code we use:

<script type="text/javascript">
    var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("your_google_analytics_ID");
    pageTracker._initData();
    </script>

Thanks Tom. I was a bit confused by the coding as they differ slightly. On Google's page for "How do I use GA to track a 3-rd party shopping cart? they instruct you to add the following line to your coding for tracking orders.

pageTracker._setDomainName("none")

So you're saying is still works even without the coding addition?

Sep 10 2008 17:24:39

tom g

I took that to mean the code on the shopping cart pages had to have that parameter...Mal takes care of that code.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to cause use any problems.