Community Forums 

Main Content

User-Entered shipping

Jun 24 2009 17:17:52

Drake

I am wanting to use Mal's with Auction Inc shipping calculator. Unfortunately, their plug-in doesn't include USPS flat rate box shipping rates. However, their stand-alone calculator does. What I am considering is having the customer choose the shipping rate they want from the stand-along and enter the amount in a user field so that they can still checkout at that time. Otherwise, I will be losing some potential customers because of the higher-than-necessary shipping costs. Right now, I have a cart through another provider where I figure the shipping on every order and invoice the customer.

i don't use the band options as it will overcharge some and undercharge others.

Any suggestions appreciated and welcomed.

Jun 24 2009 18:37:28

Debbie Q

If shipping will only be added once you could use a field called Shipping. This option would open yourself up to a lot of abuse tho. It would have to be policed very carefully.

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Jun 24 2009 19:11:36

Drake

Thanks Debbie. What would that look like in the code?

Jun 24 2009 20:53:15

jv

Will the customer be able to provide the Auction Inc plug-in with the details needed to decide the flat rate box charges?

The name is 'shipping', just like 'price' or 'units'. A value received by the cart replaces any previous value.

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/

Jun 25 2009 18:25:32

Drake

Hi JV ~

I am planning on figuring out the dimension options for each item so that the calculator will be as accurate as possible.

Do you have any other suggestions? We always ship whatever method is cheapest...Fed Ex or USPS, and it depends on whether we can fit the order in a flat rate box and where we are shipping to as to what is going to be the best value for the customer. Up until now, we have always invoiced the customer for the total plus the shipping, but we are hoping for something a bit more automatic so the customer knows right away what they will be paying.

Jun 25 2009 19:36:12

jv

No other suggestions - just pointing out some difficulties. As you know the cart only provides the units total so you have to hold/manage any other information the calculator requires, which may not be straightforward in a multi-item order.

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/

Jun 28 2009 04:25:47

Drake

I am going to need a bit more guidance....

I tried:

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="shipping" VALUE="1"/> and it entered $1.00 for shipping. I want the shipping field open....is that possible?

Jun 28 2009 15:42:31

Debbie Q

just like any other text field statement.

<input type="text" size="10" name="shipping">

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.