Community Forums 

Main Content

PayPal - How to tell if paid by Credit card?

Sep 10 2009 20:42:49

Pat H

Hi,
    I am using PayPal as my sole payment processor and my customers have the choice of using PayPal if they are a member or Credit/Debit card otherwise, my question is this.
    I have two different email confirmations from PayPal either, the subjects are - Payment received from name.ofcustomer@theiremailaddress.com or Item no.1234567 - Notification of Payment Received from Customers Name
    Can anyone tell me which is the PayPal user and which is the Credit Card user please?
    Many Thanks,
    PatH

Just Quizzes
    www.justquizzes.co.uk

Sep 10 2009 22:29:51

Debbie Q

I can't guarentee this answer. I use PayPal Pro. For some reason I do not get PayPal recepts anymore if the customer uses their PayPal account to pay. If they use a credit card the subject line says "Notification of payment received"

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Sep 11 2009 09:43:25

Pat H

Thanks for that reply Debbie.

I find PayPal all a bit confusing, I suppose its because they want to keep it all 'In House' and don't make it easy for Credit /Debit card use. I was a PayPal Pro user but since the 'Credit Crunch' I have had to make savings wherever I could and the 20.00 monthly charge for PayPal Pro was a good saving as I did not take many phone orders so the Virtual Terminal was not used very much. But is very good at directing buyers to a page for purchases with a Card.

I wonder if you have any ideas on this one Debbie? If I use PayPal Express with Mals-E Comm does the customer still get the oppertunity to pay with a card? I have set it up and tested it myself but because it recognises me as a PayPal member will only allow me to pay using my PayPal Account. I t really needs to be tested by some-one without a PayPal membership I suppose, but unfortunately such a friend does not come to mind.
    Many Thanks,
    PatH

Just Quizzes
    www.justquizzes.co.uk

Sep 11 2009 13:57:19

Debbie Q

No, If you use PayPal Express people have to have an account. (least that is what I was told) Someone else would be directed to sign up.

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Sep 15 2009 10:50:40

Pat H

This is a strange one??? I contacted PayPal and asked if Express allowed a customer the alternative means of paying via a Credit / Debirt card.
    I received the usual robotic type answer from PayPal confirming this was so, 'All they have to do is set their funding source and confirm their payment before they continue and complete their order.'
    I have since replied asking them 'Where do they do this? On the payment page there is not a link to set their payment option.

On PayPal Express there is only 'Sign up for a PayPal account and continue checkout.'

I am using PayPal Standard at the moment as this does allow customers to choose to pay with a Credit/Debit Card. On the payment page you CAN choose your funding source via 'Don't have a PayPal account?
    Use your credit card or bank account (where available). Continue'
    As yet, two days later I have not had a reply so I am no further forward on this one.

Just Quizzes
    www.justquizzes.co.uk