Community Forums 

Main Content

Forum Support Volunteers

Sep 22 2008 00:14:40

Neil

Cheerio, and thank your mother for the rabbits! :)

Sep 22 2008 07:07:27

Nick French

Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
    ~Arnold Bennett~

http://www.nickfrench.co.uk

Sep 22 2008 09:33:30

Geoff

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    ~Bert Lance~

Sep 22 2008 10:14:25

Mal Stewart

I think you 100% wrong, Neil. Yes, there have been some teething problems but look around you; the new forums are much busier than the old one which often only used to get one or two posts a day. And of course we will continue to fix and improve the forum, as we do all the time in the shopping cart.

Ok, so it is no longer an exclusive club and that creates new challenges. But the fact is Mal's E-commerce is not there for the "helpers", it exists for 42,000 merchants actively trading using the cart, many of whom are trying to scratch a living in what are very difficult times. The merchants aren't interested in joining a discussion forum, they just want a quick fix to a specific question. If they can't get in the forum they will come to me. For every post in the forum I handle ten of my own so it is not exactly a critical part of the system, just a bit of extra help. Obviously I would like it to take a bigger role and that is beginning to happen.

So will the forum die if a little clique of helpers decide to stomp their little feet and leave? Nope, it won't. It is a pointless and futile gesture. History is littered with people who made the mistake of thinking they were more important than they really were.

Mal

Mal's E-commerce Ltd
    http://www.mals-e.com

Sep 22 2008 10:20:58

Mal Stewart

Geoff said: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    ~Bert Lance~

But it was broke, that's the point. Not for you maybe, but it was for the four or five merchants who contacted me every day beause they couldn't work out how to use the forum.

Beside, it is a silly thing to say: if Ford was still producing the same cars now as it was in fifties would it still be in business? Of course not. Were those cars "broken"? Nope.

The fact is that in business we have to keep moving on if we want to survive.

Mal

Mal's E-commerce Ltd

Sep 22 2008 13:22:20

just visiting

It would appear that over the past year in the old forum there were around 1800 threads (not posts) so several thousand of the latter. The new one has 150 in 23 days so not much different.

And they were largely answered promptly round the clock by a small number of helpers, one of whom averaged 5 posts a day.

They haven't suggested that the cart is for their benefit, only that their role and forum interests should perhaps have been regarded as helpers and not just as more frequent users. Whether that role was 'just a bit of extra help' those who received it and future users may decide.

But there is a new forum, gradually getting into shape. There will be new helpers. Your mailbox may be a little busier. And the cart will go on.

P.S. Not sure if there's been a change but I was able to type my reply while seeing all that had gone before (nice feature) and then click on Post Reply - before being told I needed to login and losing my input.

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/

Sep 22 2008 15:31:47

Neil

Mal Stewart said: So will the forum die if a little clique of helpers decide to stomp their little feet and leave? Nope, it won't. It is a pointless and futile gesture. History is littered with people who made the mistake of thinking they were more important than they really were.

Mal

I keep reading this but still can't believe my eyes.

Anyway, I suppose in the big tapestry of life, a few dropped stitches here means very little, so I have removed my "pointless and futile" comments in case anyone else considers them as such, and I apologise sincerely to anyone offended by the help I offered these last few years.

Sep 22 2008 17:04:47

Nick French

Hi Neil

To be truthful, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw your original post, which is why I posted a quotation that to me summed up a logical response.

As Mal has stated, change is a must, something I am sure you can appreciate. It is also true that with anything new, it can take a while for errors and subsequent tweaks or adjustments to be applied.

I was aware that a number of people such as yourself are very helpful to the forum users, as were 'Ron' and 'ge' from a number of years ago. This is a help forum, and so all members can share, this is surely what has lead Mal to implement a new design for the forum; not to inhibit but to assist.

I for one felt your post to be almost an attack on Mal, and simply thought that perhaps you'd had a 'bad day'. On seeing that you had meant to be as strong as you were, I cannot understand what you were wanting to achieve in your original post as it was neither helpful nor informative.

I don't believe you have offended anyone in the past with your help, and hope you can continue to share your useful knowledge, but I for one wouild prefer that any issue you mght have with Mal be dealt with in private.

Meant with best intention,

www.nickfrench.co.uk

http://www.nickfrench.co.uk

Sep 22 2008 19:38:45

Mal Stewart

just visiting said: It would appear that over the past year in the old forum there were around 1800 threads (not posts) so several thousand of the latter. The new one has 150 in 23 days so not much different.

I honestly don't know if those numbers are correct but if they are then I think they a excellent: a 34% increase in topics? Most of us have to work really hard for that sort of growth! :)

Mal

Mal's E-commerce Ltd

Sep 23 2008 14:51:01

cassie75

I started to read this thread and was extremely confused. Then I see half way down that someone deleted their original comments. Reading between the lines I can work out what they were but it really is bad form to delete posts as it confuses and annoys. If you change your mind on what you post just go in and add a note stating that you have changed your mind.

There were lots and lots of teething problems with this forum and the new 'my account' system and new Admin area - many have been fixed. Some may never be fixed, especially if Mal doesn't think the forum is a valuable addition to his business.

Mal you are wrong. I have visited this forum for YEARS and got the answers I needed - either by searching or asking. I have emailed you many times for answers I had not found but I would have been emailing you a hundred times more without this forum. Could you really cope with that?

The regulars are VERY valuable assets to your business - I hope they stay because my job would have been much harder without them.

The only reason there might have been an increase on THIS forum is because there is nothing to search. Many of the questions asked so far on this new forum had been answered MANY times on the old forum. Therefore, on the old forum, a simple search found the answer. Now people have to ask the same old questions again so the number of posts will OBVIOUSLY go up.

Life is too short to work 8 hours a day - thats why I work 16 :-)

1   |   2      »