Community Forums 

Main Content

Advanced shipping - Puerto Rico weirdness (FYI/bug fix request)

Jan 06 2010 02:04:33

Jon

I use advanced shipping with the tie-in to USPS to automatically calculate postage. USPS treats Puerto Rico as a state, not a foreign country. However, Puerto Rico does not appear in the list of states - it is in the countries list. I have two zones configured, one is USA the other is International. The USA zone has a few options such as express, priority mail, first class mail, International has two options - priority mail international and express mail international, all of the above calculated via USPS.

If I set Puerto Rico to International, the cart says "it is not possible to calculate shipping for this order". This makes sense since Puerto Rico is not an international destination, so the USPS would not be able to calculate postage using an international service to a domestic address. I thought the solution would be to set Puerto Rico to the USA zone, but what happens with it set like that is when I select Puerto Rico from the countries list in the cart and click "add shipping", it goes right back to the cart with the shipping set to $0.00! It does not present a list of shipping options as my other USA addresses do, it just comes right back to the cart with the shipping set at zero dollars, and it will let me check out that way! Thus currently Puerto Rico purchasers could check out with free shipping! As far as I can tell, currently my only options are to exclude Puerto Rico completely or add a note to the cart to have Puerto Rico users select some other state and input their zip code. Interestingly, it appears that if a state (any state) is selected, the postage will calculate as long as the Puerto Rico zip code is used.

I have no idea how the underlying cart works but this seems to be a bug. IMHO, Puerto Rico should appear in the list of states and provinces, not as a separate country, and a zip code should be required to compute postage, same as any other state. If I am mistaken in my understanding, please let me know, but it appears as though this problem could be fixed by simply removing Puerto Rico from the countries list and putting it on the States/Provinces list instead.

Similarly, American Samoa, Federated States of Micronesia, Guam, Marshall Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, and the American Virgin Islands should be added to the "states" list as well and should not appear in the countries list. They all have zip codes and are treated as domestic destinations by the USPS.

-Jon-

Jan 06 2010 15:08:07

Alan

The people who answer forum posts are users like you. We have no other connection with Mal's and we can't make changes.

Make your points to Mal - he can get things changed so that the calculator software is in line with USPS practice. I haven't checked how UPS and FEDEX handle U.S. Possessions and Trust Territories - I guess they all have to be the same.

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/

Jan 06 2010 20:16:13

Jon

I posted here first instead of bothering Mal due to the very real possibility that I am missing something or doing the setup wrong. It seems like the odds of someone else coming across this problem before are pretty good, thus it seemed to me that it is more likely that my setup is wrong or I am missing some crucial information than for this to be a longstanding bug in the cart itself.

I also did not realize that the forum was un-monitored. I will wait for a bit to see if anyone comes along with a suggestion that would indicate my setup is wrong, but if nothing is forthcoming, I will go ahead and contact Mal directly as you suggest.

-Jon-

Jan 06 2010 22:15:06

Alan

Mal appears to look from time to time but doesn''t guarantee to do so.

I'm not a USPS or Advanced shipping user but agree that USPS, according to its website, treats Puerto Rico as Domestic rather than International.

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/

Jan 18 2010 15:14:49

audiolabga

We have the same problem, had to add a zone with flat rate to get it to show in cart. Have you found a fix? I think that making it a state and not a Country would fix it.