Community Forums 

Main Content

The most bizzar thing happened with a customer checkout

Dec 30 2010 18:53:24

JameyLynn

I don't know how this was possible. Two days ago I had a customer place an order, but they did not make the payment. So it was showing red in Mals, which it should have been.

Today, two days later, a payment shows up in my paypal account for the order and now the order in Mals is showing as paid. That should have not been able to happen.

I contacted the customer and I was told that they had gone through most of the checkout, including logging into their paypal account, but they never went through clicking all the pay now buttons.

They had left their computer on for those two days. Obviously their paypal page had time out. So the customer kept hitting the back button and was able to back up to the shopping cart to the page where it showed the total due and confirm order, then they went one page forward again and logged into their paypal account and paid.

Is Mals starting to hold cart contents longer? The contents should have been gone from the customer getting to the paypal log in page the first time around. This has me totally confused as to how this could have happened.

JameyLynn
    Howaco Glass Supply Co
    www.howacoglass.com

Dec 30 2010 21:09:34

Debbie Q

I had a similar thing happen where an order showed not paid. The customer said she got a notice saying it could not be completed. But later an order and payment came through from her so I filled it. She got the book and contacted me and said... I told her the order didn't go through so she ordered it from someone else. I had to refund her money since I told her it did not go through but somehow it showed up later. It must have been saved in a PayPal Que or something.

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Dec 31 2010 16:43:50

Alan

Mal isn't holding cart contents longer. You expected to see the details in Admin and they remain there until you, or Mal, deletes them.

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/

Dec 31 2010 21:30:38

JameyLynn

Alan said Mal isn't holding cart contents longer. You expected to see the details in Admin and they remain there until you, or Mal, deletes them.

Exactly. The order was in my Mals account for two days, as unpaid. The cutomer ordered on the 28th, did not complate the checkout, but they were able to finish the checkout on the 30th because they had left that window open on the internet.

Timing out should have killed off the buyers ability to do that, and order should not hang for two days.

JameyLynn
    Howaco Glass Supply Co
    www.howacoglass.com

Dec 31 2010 22:50:32

Alan

I think if anything you should be reviewing the Paypal process.

If Paypal accepts a delayed payment it seems immaterial whether or not Mal then accepts Paypal's notification and updates the Admin record.

I don't know Paypal's facilities. Is it valid in some cases for a payment to be made some time after the transaction is created?

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/