Community Forums 

Main Content

problems today 13/1/11 emails not coming through

Jan 14 2011 11:56:41

Mal Stewart

Yes, unfortuantely the mail server crashed yesterday and it was quite a few hours before I noticed. The mail server has a monitor which normally would automatically retart it. Unfortunately the monitor had gone down at some point previously and of course there was no monitor to monitor the monitor! A good example of why redundancy is easier said than done...

Sorry for the hassle, no other services were effected, you can pickup all order details from Admin.

Mal Stewart

Mal's E-commerce Ltd
    http://www.mals-e.com

Jan 15 2011 17:29:34

cassie75

Mal - you may be able to get the payment details etc ok but we have no paperwork to prove we had an order. As you know, we are not allowed to keep what we print from Admin and have to shred it straight away. We have to keep some records - which are the email notifications. So what do we do now? Are all the emails completely lost or can you resurrect them some how?

Can we also assume that Customers did not get their email notifications either? If so then I have lots of customers to email (typing their email address in manually as I can't copy and paste them from the order emails) to inform that the shopping basket did NOT send them a receipt as promised. I will probably have to type out exactly what they ordered too as many use those email notifications for their accounts.

I make sure I have the notifications sent to different email addresses with different hosters just in case one of them fails but how can I guard against Mal's email servers failing again?

Life is too short to work 8 hours a day - thats why I work 16 :-)

Jan 16 2011 00:17:06

Debbie Q

Cassie, Why can't you keep what you print from admin? How is the order information there different from what is emailed to you?

I think you can probably assume the customers did not get their email notifications but why can't you copy and paste from the order in admin to send to the customer?

I am confused.

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Jan 16 2011 17:09:41

cassie75

The info we print from Admin obviously contains the Card Details which are not not allowed to keep a copy of. The email notifications do not contain the card details and is our only proof that the customer ordered from us which we need to have for the VAT and Tax Man - we don't want to upset them :-(

We could not copy and paste from admin because we didn't know about the emails not being sent until after we had printed and deleted the orders from Admin.

Hope this eases your confusion Debbie :-)

However we do still need a solution and an answer from Mal as to if the emails are anywhere or lost completely and confirmation that our customers did not get their emails.

Life is too short to work 8 hours a day - thats why I work 16 :-)

Jan 16 2011 22:27:35

Debbie Q

Oh OK. I understand. Mine does not have the credit card details since the cards are processed automaticly. I wasn't aware the CC info showed there. As you know Mal is not likely to look back at this thread so you would need to email him directly but I would be willing to bet the information is lost forever and the customers did not get an email.

cassie75 said The info we print from Admin obviously contains the Card Details which are not not allowed to keep a copy of.

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Jan 17 2011 09:44:31

Nick French

Hi Cassie - it is unfortunate, I doubt the emails are 'there' to be retrieved, but these things can happen. It's the first in many years I can recall, however as a backup I also use mOrders, for the small cost of the licence you can email from it confirmations identical to the emails sent out.

http://www.nickfrench.co.uk

«      1   |   2