Community Forums 

Main Content

Abandoned Cart Can Cause False Order (possible bug)

Mar 18 2014 17:59:56

Mimidolls.Com

There are 2 problems in the cart here:

1. Once you go to payments, there is no "Back" or "Cancel" button. You can't get out of the cart if you change your mind unless you close the browser tab which leaves you off my site. This is undesirable, but not critical.

2. If you go to payments, but don't actually complete the payment, the cart contents still show up as an order, and there is no indication that the order HAS NOT BEEN PAID except that you have an order in Mals-e, but there is no corresponding item in PayPal. This is definitely a bug, but it may not be fixable.

I have entered the exact same order twice, once going to completion, and once abandoning the cart after going to payments. BOTH show up as orders in Mal-e, but only one shows up in PayPal. There is no indication on either order that would let me determine that either of them had not been paid. (They are identical.)

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim

Mar 18 2014 18:21:38

Alan

My understanding is that if when the link to the payment processor is made, an order is recorded in admin in red. If there is a positive return from the payment processor, the entries in admin for an order will be changed to black. If the feedback is negative, or none is received, it remains as red.

But some processors may not provide feedback so you only tell from the processor log.

The problem might be Paypal setup - https://www.mals-e.com/viewtopic.php?id=26951&mid=26951&fid=2 may help.

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/

Mar 18 2014 19:55:19

Mimidolls.Com

Alan said My understanding is that if when the link to the payment processor is made, an order is recorded in admin in red. If there is a positive return from the payment processor, the entries in admin for an order will be changed to black. If the feedback is negative, or none is received, it remains as red.

But some processors may not provide feedback so you only tell from the processor log.

The problem might be Paypal setup - https://www.mals-e.com/viewtopic.php?id=26951&mid=26951&fid=2 may help.

Both a completed order and an abandoned order show up in RED with Payment Status=unknown. The problem is apparently either the PayPal setup or PayPal itself.

Thank you.
    I will investigate further.

Jim

Mar 18 2014 22:10:11

Mimidolls.Com

Alan said My understanding is that if when the link to the payment processor is made, an order is recorded in admin in red. If there is a positive return from the payment processor, the entries in admin for an order will be changed to black. If the feedback is negative, or none is received, it remains as red.

Your understanding is correct. This seems to be a documentation bug. I never found anyplace where it indicated that paid orders would be in black and unpaid orders would be in red. (I could have missed it.)

I find myself mostly frustrated by the documentation - this is a very powerful system, but the documentation is aimed at the person who is a competent HTML/CSS/Javascript/PHP coder and is familiar with the system. That's not most of the people. I know enough to get my website to work but I use HTML/CSS/Javascript/PHP about once every 2 years, which means I have to completely relearn it each time. (It changes fast.) Then I have to relearn the website. I am not an expert at anything except idiot-resistant documentation. I sometimes use it to remind myself what I did and why so I can fix it after I've been away for more than 90 days.

Thanks.
    Jim