Community Forums 

Main Content

Gift Vouchers and MOrders 4.18

Sep 22 2009 19:36:21

Michael Schwab

I've checked all other discussions on this topic and came up zero, so here I go:

I have 4 gift vouchers I have issued to customers over the past few months. Today one customer redeemed hers, but it did not show up in the order download in MOrders 4. I have to manually enter it and re-calculater the total. Is there something I'm not doing right in MOrders?

Here is what is shown in the order details at Mals Admin:

Shopper ID 4715181
    Date 13:06 22 Sep 2009

PAYMENT DETAILS
    Method Card
    Gift voucher AHW090616210125
    Amount 3.00

Extra data Field 0: Ship ASAP
    Field 1:
    Shipping calculator 5 : 80816 : : First-Class Parcelģ 4-10 day: 7.95 : United States

Here is what I got in email:
    Order ID: 4715181
    Date: 22 Sep 2009 - 13:08
    IP Address: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Gift voucher: AHW090616210125
    Voucher amount: 3.00
    Remainder paid by: Card Visa
    Remainder amount: 21.92
    Shipping zone: 5 : 80816 : : First-Class Parcelģ 4-10 day: 7.95 : United States
    Extra customer data: Ship ASAP :

The discount does not show up in MOrders and I almost didn't see it when I went to process her card. What if anything would happen if she had chosen to pay via Paypal?
    Thanks in advance.
    Sandra

Sep 22 2009 19:38:01

Michael Schwab

Houston, (Mal) We have a problem-I hit the refresh page and the topic posted 2 more times AFTER I left the building....>Mozilla Firefox bug?????

TIA
    Sandra

Sep 22 2009 22:36:16

Don

Captain Sandra, we sure do.

We seem to be getting multiple postings on a regular basis.

What rocket fuel are you using?

DB.

www.donbarrow.co.uk
    www.pacenotes.com
    Please either Share or Like my Facebook

Sep 22 2009 22:36:53

Don

Captain Sandra, we sure do.

DB.

The after burner has kicked in again and I have also got a multiple post !

www.donbarrow.co.uk
    www.pacenotes.com
    Please either Share or Like my Facebook

Sep 23 2009 02:14:52

Debbie Q

Mal had responded to this topic once before on the forum. Unfortunately I do not remember what he said or if it was this forum or the old forum that is no longer available. The search function does not work for me so I cannot even search for it.

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Sep 23 2009 13:45:42

Mal Stewart

A gift voucher isn't a discount! It is a payment method...

When a gift voucher is used the customer is making a part payment for the order, the remainder is going to be paid some other way, in this case by card. If it had been PayPal then the cart would have deducted the gift voucher from the amount to be paid.

A dscount voucher and a gift voucher are very different animals. With a discount voucher the customer genuinely is paying less for their goods and you are making less profit on them. A gift voucher on the other hand is just a mechanism for getting some of the cash "up front". The amount you have been paid is the full price, full profit margin. So it effects your tax position...

Mal

Mal's E-commerce Ltd
    http://www.mals-e.com

Sep 23 2009 14:27:29

Debbie Q

Thank's Mal. This is what I remembered you saying before which didn't make any more sense then than it does now to me. When the Gift certificate is purchased it is already treated as a purchase so when they redeemed the certificate it is now counted twice.

Mal Stewart said A gift voucher isn't a discount! It is a payment method...

When a gift voucher is used the customer is making a part payment for the order, the remainder is going to be paid some other way, in this case by card. If it had been PayPal then the cart would have deducted the gift voucher from the amount to be paid.

A dscount voucher and a gift voucher are very different animals. With a discount voucher the customer genuinely is paying less for their goods and you are making less profit on them. A gift voucher on the other hand is just a mechanism for getting some of the cash "up front". The amount you have been paid is the full price, full profit margin. So it effects your tax position...

Mal

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Sep 30 2009 00:40:34

Michael Schwab

Don said Captain Sandra, we sure do.

DB.

The after burner has kicked in again and I have also got a multiple post !

Capt Sandra to Major Don:
    I am using Mozilla Firefox turbo fuel heheehee!
    Mal says to stop using the back button in that ubber hyper browser until he can fix that glitch in posts :)))

Sep 30 2009 00:45:40

Michael Schwab

Mal Stewart said A gift voucher isn't a discount! It is a payment method...

Mal

I get that, I think...the way we use them is as follows:

when we owe a customer a credit back on a return, we issue them a voucher code (gift voucher) toward their next purchase, as opposed to a partial refund...it is in essence, giving them the credit they are owed by us...right??? %-)

beam me up scotty...
    Sandra

Nov 08 2009 04:15:51

KarboStore

This is how I make sure I donít' miss gift vouchers when they come in.

I agree Debbie. It doesnt' make sense. I wish Mal would realize that it doesn't matter if it is a form of payment or a discount. Either way I NEED TO KNOW! If I don't manually change the customers receipt they WILL complain (I know from experience)

This is how I deal with it. I send out A LOT of gift certificates. (Sorry I am from the US, we donít call them vouchers.) Every time a person orders from me they get a coupon, when they send in three I send them a $25 off voucher. The way I make sure I don't miss when someone uses one of my gift vouches as a form of payment is by using GMAIL. I set up a filter that looks for the word GIFT VOUCHER in all caps. The filter looks like this :
    Matches: GIFT VOUCHER
    Do this: Apply label "GIFT VOUCHER - Adjust Receipt"

That way when mal's cart sends me the customerís order it flags it as having a gift voucher. I also made the gift voucher label red so I wouldn't miss it.

Now I just log into my gmail acount where my client orders are sent and at a glance i can see if any order has used a gift voucher. This has been a life saver for me. Before this I was about ready to leave mal's system.

Hope this helps.