Community Forums 

Main Content

discountpr applied to different items of a particular type

Oct 08 2009 19:45:15

marcuslee

I know what I want to do can probably be done, for this page comes pretty close::

http://www.tne.co.uk/mals/calculate-plus-discount.html

But, I don't really want to handle the quantity until I get to the cart. Using discountpr would work for each item individually, but I want items of a particular class to be discounted together, though they are shown as separate products.

This is a little hard to understand. Take a look at my site and maybe it will make a little more sense.

http://www.elegantlather.com/products

Right now, I only have one type of product: organic foam. But, later I want to have different types: liquid soap (non-foam), bar soaps, etc ... I will want to give a discount for buying different kinds of organic foam but if you buy a bar of soap along with the foam, I don't want to discount the bar of soap ... unless you buy different kinds of bar soaps as well.

And, if possible, I would like all of that to be handled by the cart. I don't want customers to have to decide how many of each before they get to the cart.

Some sort of drop down system might work, but I want to keep the format that I have now. A different pic for each product within a type with its own add to cart button.

Though, on the other hand, choosing everything before you get to the cart might be easy as well. I'm not sure. I want it easy for them and for me.

Any ideas?

Mark

Oct 09 2009 05:17:23

Debbie Q

I can't think of any way to do it keeping the same layout you have right now or by having them change the qty in the cart. I know it can be done if they add all they want of each kind at once. Gonna sleep on it and give it some more thought.

Debbie Q

Mal's Support: www.mals-e.com/support.php
    GT's Forms and examples: www.malsforms.com
    Helpful java scripts: www.gemasana.com/mals
    Shipping help documents: www.stoner.org.uk/mals

My Create-A-Book Publishing - mycreateabook.com
    Personalized Books, Music CDs and Gifts for all ages and occasions.

Please help me out and share my site on your networks.

Oct 09 2009 08:30:10

Alan

Quantities are only combined for discountpr purposes when the product and any selected options are identical.

So if your customer buys some Berry Wine OFHWF, and then buys some more of the same or changes the quantity in the cart, the discountpr prices are applied. If the second purchase is a Chocolate Espresso OFHWF, they aren't because the product, and/or the options, are different.

So one has to make OFHWF the product, and specify the quantities of each fragrance separately, perhaps as separate products.

I think the main problem is cart changes, if allowed, because the customer has to ensure the qty for OFHWF is consistent with the total of the individual fragrances.

You might change this
    <form action="http://ww4.aitsafe.com/cf/add.cfm"; method="post">
    <input type="hidden" name="userid" value="60216517">
    <input type="hidden" name="product" value="Berry Wine Organic Foam Hand Wash with Fragrance">
    <input type="hidden" name="price" value="6.00">
    <input type="hidden" name="units" value="4" />
    <input type="hidden" name="return" value="www.elegantlather.com/products">;
    <input type=submit value="Add to Cart">
    </form>

to this
    <form action="http://ww3.aitsafe.com/cf/addmulti.cfm"; method="post">
    <input type="hidden" name="userid" value="60216517" />
    <input type="hidden" name="return" value="www.elegantlather.com/products"; />
    <input type="hidden" name="product1" value="Organic Foam Hand Wash with Fragrance" />
    <input type="hidden" name="discountpr1" value="2,6:3,5:0,4.67" />
    <input type="hidden" name="units1" value="4" />
    <input type="hidden" name="noqty1" value="3" />
    <input type="hidden" name="qty1" />
    <input type="hidden" name="product2" value="qty OFHWF of Berry Wine" />Berry wine qty
    <input type="text" name="qty2" onChange="qty1.value=qty2.value" />
    <input type="hidden" name="discountpr2" value="0" />
    <input type=submit value="Add to Cart">
    </form>

repeating the form with one line changed for the next product
    <input type="hidden" name="product2" value="qty OFHWF of Chocolate Espresso" />Chocolate Espresso qty

I've temporarily put a couple of products at http://www.stoner.org.uk/mals/discountpr-expanded3.html.

You can repeatedly put a qty in a box and add to cart. The total of OFHWF will be updated as will the individual quantities.

You can prevent the customer from changing any quantities in the cart, or allow him to juggle the different varieties of OFHWF. But the onus is then on the customer to make the total match.

The other potential problem is that you can't control the order of items in the cart. So if he then orders soaps, the set of soap products will follow in the cart.

If he then orders another variety of OFHWF, the total will be adjusted but the qty will be the last item in the cart so that all OFHWF rows are not together.

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/

Oct 09 2009 09:33:01

Don

:----

www.donbarrow.co.uk
    www.pacenotes.com
    Please either Share or Like my Facebook

Oct 09 2009 12:07:50

Alan

Don't blame the messenger :-)

Alan
    Some shipping help documents are available at www.stoner.org.uk/mals/

Oct 09 2009 16:33:04

marcuslee

Quote: You can repeatedly put a qty in a box and add to cart. The total of OFHWF will be updated as will the individual quantities.

I like that. That's a good start.

Quote: You can prevent the customer from changing any quantities in the cart, or allow him to juggle the different varieties of OFHWF. But the onus is then on the customer to make the total match.

This idea would be perfect if the customer could adjust all the numbers and then have a script run in the background to make sure the final numbers match, alerting the customer when they don't. But, I understand that is part of the wish list.

Quote: The other potential problem is that you can't control the order of items in the cart. So if he then orders soaps, the set of soap products will follow in the cart.

Quote: If he then orders another variety of OFHWF, the total will be adjusted but the qty will be the last item in the cart so that all OFHWF rows are not together.

Having everything match would be a nice feature. You could group your products by category and then sort by category when you view the cart. Another wish list item, I'm afraid.

These features aren't mandatory, but if other people would appreciate such features, we should tell Mal, since I understand he doesn't always read the posts.